Existing Member?

The places I go... Highlights, snidbits, monologues, fables, parables and other fabrications of a travelers' adventures near and far.

Scary Night #2

SINGAPORE | Saturday, 14 August 2010 | Views [232]

14th August - Singapore

Hostel reservations, who needs them, find a place to stay as you go. I'm just one traveler, every place has at least one bed open in a dorm room, right? Well, apparently not in Singapore when you do not start looking until almost 12pm. My flight from Sydney on JetStar did not get in until 10:30pm and after clearing customs, exchanging money and a train ride, it was close to midnight when I took off on foot to find a hostel. Big backpack on my back, day pack worn over the shoulders but frontwards. The first place I tried from Lonely Planet (the address I gave on my immigration form) was no more. I walked around the block and the whole thing was a hole in the ground construction side. No hostel there. Next I passes under Bugis Backpackers. I walked up to the second floor, sweating from the bags, the stairs and the heat and humidity. The door was closed and locked, but there was a bell. I rang it and two couples walked in while I waited. I didn't dare enter, I hear they hang you for trespassing in Singapore. Finally a lady, who looked pissed off, answered the door; "Singles only, $65 dollars, we are closed." And was closing the door well before I said no thanks, I'll keep looking. Where too now. I started walking toward another hostel in the guide book and passed a hotel. I figured I would see about there room rates for a last resort option. They were full too. But he gave me a card for Hawaii Hostel with a 24 reception. I found that hostel a few blocks away and they were full too. Shit! This whole time though I was more calm then Scary Night #1. There were plenty of people still around, lights all over the city, eateries still open, I felt safe; just starting to worry about having to spend the night on the street. I finally made it to Little India and a fancy looking hostel lobby. I walked in and they had beds for $28. Perfect, a place to rest my head. At 1:30am I threw my bags down and went for a stroll to find some food. JetStar is similar to a flight on Southwest, nothing near the Quantas and Emirates international flights I had now set my standards at. 10 hours of travel with only a few snacks, I needed food. Walking down the street I noticed I had found the hostel haven, at least 10 of them lined the street left and right. After having a little Chili Chicken at an Indian restaurant I went to bed. What an evening, I was just glad to have a bed.

 

About mdcamps

Heading North!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.