Existing Member?

The places I go... Highlights, snidbits, monologues, fables, parables and other fabrications of a travelers' adventures near and far.

Scary Night #1

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 13 August 2010 | Views [258]

13 August - Yes, Friday the 13th

I made it out of Sydney and up to the Blue Mountains, despite a late start because of a lot of wine while talking with a few Irish the night before. Worst case, it was going to be a nice train ride and a peaceful day off of my feet and out of the city. It turned out to be a great day. I walked along the cliff trail with many amazing viewpoints of the forested canyon valley with its blue hue. I saw Katoomba waterfall and the Three Sisters rock formation. Then I acted stupid and without a map, though I could make a loop hiking to the next town down and picking up the train there. I had a little over an hour until the sunset and I really did not even know how far it was. Whatever, lets go for it. Well it ended up being farther than I though, and after walking around a hour in the dark, no knowing where the hell I was. I was frightened. There were later trains and I had my headlamp, but I feared the worst. Walking on the road with no street lights trying to find Gordon St, no cars, no businesses, houses or any form of civilization. And I was only supposed to be 2-3km out of town from the train station. The few cars that did pass scared me more, I prayed they would not stop. What a change in attitude from my hitchhiking days, and why. I knew I was fine, but I could not rationalize my fear to subside. Eventually I made Gordon St. then The Mall and finally the tiny little town and the train station. With 8min to spare for the train. Safe and sound, no problem.

 

About mdcamps

Heading North!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.