Existing Member?

Eo Ire Itum

Attending my first English class in Zhangzhou

CHINA | Monday, 6 October 2008 | Views [2174] | Comments [11]

I went along to one of my Dad's English classes today here at Zhangzhou Institute of Technology. This particular class is a beginners one, so the students English skills are quite poor compared to a lot of the other classes. All of the students in this class are about 18-20 years old.

My Dad started off by introducing me to the class and writing my name on the black board. Then he asked them if they had any questions for me. There was a sea of shy smiling faces, but no one wanted to ask a question. Sometimes it can take a while to coax them to speak because they are all very shy and afraid of making a mistake with their English.

One by one they all asked me their questions in timid little voices. The funniest question was from a boy: "What do you like look for in man?" he asked, looking at the floor and smiling. I just replied with "A man who is nice and who is funny!" and everyone in the class giggled and clapped. I had to make sure I spoke slowly and clearly for them, otherwise they wouldn't understand, being a beginners class. They asked me other questions like "what is your favorite sport to play?", "what are your hobbies" and "do you like Chinese food?" they were all such adorable kids.

It's amazing how patient you become when your in another country. I honestly thought I'd get annoyed talking so slowly to everyone, but I haven't so far.

When someone really wants to try communicating with you, it makes you do anything you can to be able to communicate back. It's so endearing (and strange!) to have complete strangers want to know everything about you and to be so fascinated with your culture and country. It's very humbling to learn and teach at the same time. It really makes you realise that before we are Australia or Chinese or British or Italian...we are all HUMAN! There are so many similarities between cultures, even when there is a language barrier.

I'm hoping that after I've gone to a few more classes with Dad, I will feel more comfortable teaching a few of my own classes. It's a new experience for me so I'm nervous, but I can't let that stop me from doing it. I'll never have this oppitunity again. 

Here I am TOWERING over the tiny students of Zhangzhou Institute of Technology. Hehehe. They were amazed by how tall I am.

Here I am TOWERING over the tiny students of Zhangzhou Institute of Technology. Hehehe. They were amazed by how tall I am.

Tags: china, english class, zhangzhou

Comments

1

I'm so glad your loving it. It brought a tear to my eye reading your journal. so proud of you babe. and ive bookmarked your journal site so i can read your adventures lol
lots of love xox

  erinMC Oct 7, 2008 1:40 PM

2

Aw thanks Erin. That's so sweet of you. :) I hope you're doing well. Much love! xxx

  mazystar Oct 7, 2008 1:43 PM

3

They look so sweet!

  Vanessa Oct 7, 2008 7:13 PM

4

They were very sweet!! So shy and adorable. :D Many of them come from the country and have never seen a westerner.

  mazystar Oct 7, 2008 7:28 PM

5

Wow you brought a tear to my eye! I am just so pleased that you are experiencing that just as I did. Experiencing different cultures by putting yourself right in the heart of it really helps you become, as you said 'humble'. The journey that I had over there I will never ever forget and it taught me a lot about myself and the world in which we live in. I am just so happy that you are over there and very proud so well done sis! Keep on embracing life!! It's bloody fun after all isn't it!!!?? xx

  Jen Oct 8, 2008 7:16 AM

6

Thanks babe. :)
Yeah it is fun. It's an amazing experience and I'm so glad I've had this opportunity. It's also wonderful to be able to see Dad teaching. He really is great at what he does, even if he is a cranky old fart!! Hehe. :D

  mazystar Oct 8, 2008 1:09 PM

7

Hi Marianne!! OMG I love your blog so much!!:D :D :D :D It's sooooooooooooooo cool that you are there and doing everything you planned for so long!! Will be reading, Love Nat.

  Natalie Oct 8, 2008 5:38 PM

8

AWW!!!

  jen Oct 8, 2008 9:59 PM

9

Thanks Nat! Thanks for reading. :)

  mazystar Oct 8, 2008 10:25 PM

10

He really is great experience

  sahan kumara wijenayaka May 15, 2010 11:21 PM

11

Thats so cool! I went to the same college to teach a computer programming class. I am from Canada. I swear some of those faces look familiar... lol.

I am curious, do you know Julius? I believe he was the English teacher when I was there a couple years ago.

  Paul Jan 6, 2011 1:21 PM

About mazystar

Winter time means HATS!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.