Existing Member?

Life Love & Adventure Follow my journeys around this little blue planet as I tread wearily into unknown waters, sipping on the nectars of ancient fruit trees, grappling linguistics with foreign tongues, and bathing in exotic sensations ...

Souvenirs on the beach

MEXICO | Tuesday, 12 February 2013 | Views [667] | Comments [1]

I've skipped a day in my regular blog, not because it was Domingo (Sunday) and even I called for a day of rest, but because there wasn't much to report on.  There's not much more I can say about eating, sleeping, sunning and swimming that any reader would find more interesting than the previous anecdote.  Needless to say, there was more of that :)

But I bought a couple of paintings on 'amate' paper from one of the tireless vendors that constantly walk up and down the beach with their wares - one of a Toltec calendar and the other depicting community life. These vendors, souvenir salesmen, whatever you want to call them, amaze me.  They're not pushy, are kind and mostly softly spoken (except for the ice cream man who probably has the hardest job pushing his wheelbarrow in the soft sand all day, yelling out 'Helado! Helado!'). There are the guys with the beaded necklaces, the bloke selling hammocks, the old ladies carrying baskets of food on their heads, and the 'new-agers' with their feathered earings and bracelets.  Even the ladies carrying all manner of shoulder bags, sarongs and blankets manage to maintain a pleasant demeanour under circumstances to which most Aussies would say 'bugger that!'
 
They're a very different breed to the hawkers at the main tourist sites, where trying to decline one of their sales offers can often lead to frayed nerves at the least, and often to abuse if they won't take no for an answer, hehe.
 
However, as I write this blog entry, it's 9am Monday morning, I've just finished breakfast and I've got the whole place, including the beach, to myself! Muy tranquilo!  It looks like another beautiful day in paradise :)

Comments

1

Hahaha. Needed a day of rest hey. Nice mate. Nice. Rub it in that we're working and you're working...on your tan and relaxation :)
Good to hear the hawkers are quiet and polite. That would definitely make a change to the norm. You just keep on relaxing and destressing. By the time you return, you may have lost muscle function :)) and that last comment can mean only one thing, i envy you and your beach paradise. All the best and i'll now get now onto your latest post. Cheers,

S.

  Steve Watson Feb 13, 2013 1:21 PM

About mattso


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.