Existing Member?

Life Love & Adventure Follow my journeys around this little blue planet as I tread wearily into unknown waters, sipping on the nectars of ancient fruit trees, grappling linguistics with foreign tongues, and bathing in exotic sensations ...

Epilogue

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 3 March 2008 | Views [694] | Comments [3]

I had to write a final story to let you know how this journey ended :).

It was a very long day, starting with a 3 hour wait at Kona airport before flying to Honolulu. Then there was another 5 hour wait before flying to Auckland. I met a nice German girl at the check-in but lost her later during the flight. This was an 8 hour flight and the tiring overnight trip was alleviated somewhat by the humour of the New Zealand flight crew :).

On reaching Auckland, I had another long wait at the airport before making the last flight back to Perth. I tried to catch up on some sleep during the 7 hour wait, which is pretty hard in a busy departure lounge, so bleary eyed and fatigued, I was glad to get on my last flight.

Another long flight of 7 1/2 hours was shortened by a good chat with the guy sitting next to me who I shared a few beers with and had a few laughs :). On the approach to Perth airport, I was amused by the American lady behind me who couldn't stop exclaiming 'Oh my god! Is that it? Is that Perth? There's nothing down there! Oh my God! Its all desert!' haha. It was also a hot afternoon with temps in the high 30's!

So after getting through customs and finding some of my souvenirs got broken in transit (which I could glue back together later on), I was met by my dad and my friend Dan. They were stoked to se me back in one piece looking sun-soaked and triumphant :). My fatigue had given way to adrenaline as my second wind kicked in, and we went and had a pint at an airport bar while I spurted out stories in no particular order. We headed back to dad's and picked up Danka then headed down to the OBH in Cottesloe for another beer or two while the sun went down. Ah yes, it was good to be back! :).

I haven't stopped thinking about the places I've been, the things I've seen, the people I've met, and the good grace of the high spirit which guided and protected me along the way. My photos are bringing back all the memories and, having settled in back home quite easily, there's still a restlessness which I'll have to temper by making new plans to some far-off places, including my favourites from this journey. It was an extremely rewarding time and the lessons I've learnt will help in making the next one even better :).

So thank you all once again. I'll catch up with you down the track!

Mattso

PS. If you have Facebook, you can keep in touch with me and see more photos :).

Tags: On the Road

Comments

1

Hi Matt, Im on facebook, but new to it (help) will try and find you will miss reading about your travels, see you soon Love trudi

  trudi Mar 3, 2008 11:30 PM

2

Good stuff Mattski,

Thats some good writing and well thought out summary of your trip here that you have kept up and done a real great job IMO.

No doubt you will have "itchy feet" in the next 6 weeks with all those thoughts. Again, well done and will catch up with you sometime this year in perth~!

Cheers,
Andy

  Andy S Mar 5, 2008 11:44 PM

3

What a fabulous trip Mattso! I can't believe it's all over! Three months has flown by! Well, we all can't wait to see you back again, have a proper catch up and soak up some of those holiday vibes you've got spare!

See you soon!

  Kate Mar 6, 2008 3:37 PM

About mattso


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.