Existing Member?

Matt & Mercaders - The World Tour

Antibes

FRANCE | Monday, 1 September 2008 | Views [885] | Comments [3]

Chloes´s birthday fell whilst we were in Antibes so, after acting tourists, we scheduled a beach break. Months previously chloe´s mum, Pip, and I had hatched a plan for her and Chloe´s dad, Stefan, to come over to Antibes as a surprise. Incidentally, during the goodbyes back in July, Pip and Stefan knew they were seeing Chloe in two weeks so fair play to them for keeping up the act.

I was in constant contact with them using chloe´s phone - the one phone between us - and when our train was cancelled during a power cut I had to find new and innovative/tenuous ways to get Chloe´s phone from her e.g. "can I check the footy scores on your phone...?". It was all worth the effort though to see the look on her little face when Stefan stepped out to surprise her at Antibes station. She did shriek and cause a bit of a scene i.e. that of a mugging but she later confessed tht she thought she was being attacked by a look-a-like of her dad. Brilliant.

Pip and Stef had organised amazing accommodation and brought some presents from the UK. Proud faces all round. The following days were fantastic. The beach, sun, family, good food and accomodation combo working to devastating effect.

I had one final trick up my sleeve. Good mates Oli and Rhiannon were on a family holiday nearby and generously took some time out to come over and spend the day with us. Amazing. Chloe´s face - again - a picture. I felt like Cilla in Surprise Surprise.

The surpises were clearly the highlight, however, a few others I recall are, the complementary home made rum at the local Pizza restaurant (lovely), the seven course 12:30am finish at Les Vieux Murs (epic) and admissions of OCD-like behaviour by Stef and Chloe (unnerving).

I also have to mention that Pip and Stef did make us laugh a lot, were generally on great form, and transformed our little beach break into something entirely more memorable. Special thanks to them both.

Comments

1

Matt, aren't you special!! Glad you had such a fantastic birthday Chloe. Looking forward to seeing some more pics. xx

  Kate Steer Sep 2, 2008 2:23 AM

2

I really can't believe you thought it was a mugger look-a-like of your dad - that really would have been hard to organise - i doubt even the KGB could have sorted that one.

More photos and anecdotes please - i'm still lapping it up!

  TomT Sep 11, 2008 7:10 PM

3

Although you felt like Cilla, I am sure that your hair didn't feel like Cilla's!

  Noel Sep 19, 2008 11:51 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.