Existing Member?

Maria & Brett's HUGE Trip 06-07-08-09-? ok, so the Socceroos lost in 'that' penalty against Italy; Adriatic summers aren't long enough (bliss!); and we found that you should never use the term "Eastern Bloc" when talking to a Czech (Central Europe, please).

A short return to Zadar, Croatia

CROATIA | Wednesday, 30 July 2008 | Views [779]

Wanting to escape a poor Prague summer, Brett and I headed for the pristine waters of Zadar, Croatia for 10 days.  Zadar is my home away from home but this time it was even better as my parents and cousin Klaudia were going to be there to greet us. 

I hadn’t seen my parents for 6 months and even though I knew it wouldn’t take long for dad to get on my nerves – I was very excited!

I’ve always had mixed feelings going back to Zadar.  I don’t know whether it’s the short fuse of the people (živčani), the respect for women and the great public transport (note sarcasm), the thousands of tourists (was there a special airfare from Australia this year?) that pack the streets, the old grannies (Babé) spotting you from 100 metres away and shouting at/ordering you to buy their home-grown produce… and don’t even get me started on the subject of customer service.

Having experienced the above on more than one visit, in addition to the frenzy that comes along with being obligated to visit every relative known to man, Klaudia, Brett and I made sure this time things were going to be different.  And they were. The secret – pretend you’re a local and just go with the flow!

Zadar’s history and surroundings are breathtakingly beautiful and if the opportunity comes up to get your butt there, take it. However, go on the off season and perhaps take a friend to keep you sane (Klauds – bring on 2010!).

To sum it up, the highlights:

-        The sunsets from the Kolovare

-        Walking along the Riva and sitting by the sea organ

-        The aesthetic history of the city – over 3000 years old

-        Hiring a scooter and exploring the surrounding islands

-        Catching up with my wonderful cousins

-        Finding a gastronomic jewel, Kaleta, on the island Preko

-        Not giving a #$%&! and being able to experience the real Croatia

Btw – it took my dad 4 days, a record.

Maria

About maria_brett


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Croatia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.