Existing Member?

Mare

No one here is mourning the crocodile hunter.

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 25 February 2008 | Views [475] | Comments [1]

Moni: Italian food is sub-par.  They don't make meatballs like you.  We did find a nice little restaurant that is called Michelangelo's and has a bistecca salad and delicious lasagna for a good price.  I LOVED your Brio gossip column.  I'm pretty sure you could submit that to the Guardian.  They might pick it up : )  It's something to consider.

Anyway, the last few days have been a bit more fun.  I'm starting to feel more at home.  I really enjoy the boys we met at the bbq.  There's Tim, Ryan (who grew up on a potato farm) and Dave who all go to school together and came together and they live with Darryl.  You would never guess they just met Darryl...they seem like they've been friends for life.

We met up with them in the tunnel that takes you under the street to the tram today.  It reminds me of when I visited Amy in St. Louis.  You were always going underground to get the the metro.

I got into all my classes that I wanted (I think).

I'm taking "Reading Children's Literature" which has a ba-gillion books but fun ones like Harry Potter and Where the Wild Things Are.  Danny (aussie house-mate) is taking that class too but at a different time.

There's also my Geography class which isn't exciting really, and my "Health and Physical Activity for Children" (self explanatory) and then a "Teaching Children's Lit" or something to that effect.  I'm not really sure.

Point is they are all major related which is PLUS because then I'm not falling behind which was a risk.  Granted I'm still missing a quarter but I mostly made up for that this summmer.

I looked at the list and added up all my books.  Only $245!  Most of my friends have to pay around $600 and I think Lindsay is around $400.  I finally lucked out on SOMETHING.

We all went to uni. today for the first day of O-week.  There were stands everywhere and clubs to sign up for so basically like May Daze.  We joined DUSA and got $50 bucks to use on campus as well as a book discount and half off the tickets for the beach party tonight and the comedy night tomorrow.  Already paid for itself which is good.  You're supposed to dress up for the beach party but, silly me, I forgot to pack my hawaiian shirt!

We ran into Johan randomly!  He walked around with us a bit.  I think tomorrow he is meeting up with us at the comedy night so we can meet his girlfriend.

I also joined the study abroad club.  I think what it really stands for is "we'll show you around a bit and hold your hand" which I may or may not need and it was only $5 to join.  They are going to go to an AFL (or "footy") game and visit some beach (who knows where, they are everywhere) and things like that.

There's an 80's party Friday night but I'm not so sure about that one.  But the free event on Thursday?  I'll be there.  It's FREE.

I was all about the free food today but the line was twisting all around campus like some sick starving snake.  So I bought a small sandwich with the free DUSA money they gave me when I signed up.

We got this DUSA bag of stuff and there's TONS of coupons in there which is awesome.  You know those coupon books you buy from like Middle School cheerleaders and never remember to bring with you to the mall?  It's like one of those but pretty much free.  Pizza coupons!  (you all pretty much know how I feel about pizza)

Still craving the Q and I still miss you all.

Mary

Tags: Friends

Comments

1

No I don't; how DO you feel about pizza?

Watch out for sting rays when you swim. You never know.

  Stuart Feb 28, 2008 10:19 AM

About marge


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.