Existing Member?

Frozen Toes What is it that you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?

Soaking Up Songkram

THAILAND | Tuesday, 15 April 2008 | Views [685]

Songkram.  The Thai New Year.  A hot time of year when you're soaked with sweat, anyway!  All sweat is washed away as the city participates in one big 3 day waterfight.  I just happen to be in Bangkok for 2 of these days! 

Groups of young and old line the streets armed with brightly colored LARGE water guns.  Little kids walk the streets armed with backpacks filled with water....guns attached.  Tourists sneak around corners with their guns as well.  Vats of water with brighly colored buckets are placed outside shops....lying in wait for attacking vehicles!  The water fight is on! 

The true weapons of mass destruction come from the backs of pickup trucks!  These pickups loaded with Thais drive the streets of Bangkok carrying large vats of water for reloading. Water explodes from the back of their trucks as they attack their streetside targets~always followed by extreme laughter!  Water also flies out of bus windows, tuk-tuks, and any other passing vehicle!  No one is immune!  As I walk back to my hotel, I'm squirted by little kids and people approach me with buckets, look into my eyes and either with a gentle 'Hello' or 'I'm sorry', they gently pour it down my back.  All I can do is return their friendly Thai smile.

About lynn


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.