Existing Member?

Buen Camino There is no toilet paper on the road less traveled

Reflections of a Pilgrim in Portomarin

SPAIN | Wednesday, 24 September 2008 | Views [685] | Comments [3]

Hola amigos.  Finally made it to Portomarin, on a water way and built on the side of a mountain.  Again, a beautiful town.  Went from Sarria yesterday to a little hostel not far from here.  I keep getting into some lucky circumstances.  This was a true little Spanish hostel in a hamlet called Morgade. Old stone building made into a comfortable hostel with a separate salon including a fireplace.  There is a cafe attached and they serve what all of pilgrims look for - a menu de dia.  The hostel was 8 euros, quite cheap for a room with three beds, shared bath.  But the place is spotless.  After the usual beer, I had a small caldo gallegos and riberio.  This is a local white wine served in a small bowl.  Although the food here is mouth watering, I am still not eating much - just not hungry.  Usually a bocadillo (a large sandwith with whatever in it) cut into two, a little in the morning and some in the evening.  The walk itself is from a storybook.  Paths through tall trees, stone walls with moss, green everywhere.  The Camino in this area is well marked, but so busy.  I counted around 50 people who passed me yesterday morning before I stopped conting.  Unfortunately, not all of my fellow pilgrims are truly into the spirit of the pilgrimage.  There is lots of litter on the sides of the road, I am sure that the local people who live here are upset over it.  And there are more "day pilgrims", who walk (or should I say speed) during the day and have someone transport their packs.  Then they get to the albergues before you and take all of the room. The worse are the German groups - sorry Jurgen, but most of them have been rude.  Nonetheless, I have met some incredible people along the way, both travelers and locals. Sharing my room for 8 tonight is a litle Austrian man perhsps close to 80 who was at the same hostel with me in Ruitain.   It is truly a pleasure to see him again.  For now, I have had my shower and did my laundry. It´s around 2:00, and I will sit down with a short beer, write my journal, and just relax. I am sorry that there are no pictures yet, but none of the computers I have been on allow me to download anything.  But please check again after Oct. 10 and the pictures and stories will be updated.  I am doing great, and look forward to traveling a long day tomorrow.  Love to all.

Tags: there are pilgrims and then there are tourists

Comments

1

Ok where are you at right now? And tomorrow is your b-day and your not here with me to celebrate......sob...sob. I hope that your having a great time, we miss you a ton - be safe

Love you - D, E, and Mads....and grand-dog

  Daughter Sep 26, 2008 3:25 AM

2

HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! Have a beer my dear!! How is the beer in Spain??? Jori and I love you very much and hope that you are having super amounts of fun and being safe!! Mucho amor....Nea and Jori

  Renee Sep 26, 2008 11:17 PM

3

Glad you are having a great time! I miss you and Happy Birthday!!!!!!! They have not heard from you in San Sabastian/ Tuis and Luis were worried. Please email them. Be safe . Love Mom

  Linda, Mom Sep 27, 2008 11:38 AM

About lrvajretti


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.