Existing Member?

3 countries, 6 weeks, 9 lives?

update

LAOS | Monday, 12 March 2007 | Views [483] | Comments [1]

Hello all,

have been out of interweb access for a while.

From Luang Prabang we all travelled to Nong Khiaw, back up the Nam Ou river to central Northern Laos.  Small village.  Guesthouse where we stayed had a great outlook of the river.

From there I went up to Muang Ngoi, a village full of guesthouses that is the base for trekking through the Lao jungle to visit hilltribe villages.  Tony and Erin went back to Luang Prabang to visit a waterfall and do a cycle-kayak day.

Muang Ngoi was interesting.  There are a lot of travellers staying there.  Restaurant where I ate had a good view of the street and Lao people's homes.  Was amusing to watch the daily breakfast ritual and the full moon party.  I think there were quite a few sore Western heads the next morning after a lot of Lao Lao, Laos whisky.  Very potent I hear.

I wanted to do a trek there but there wasn't enough numbers.  Walked to the nearby Ban Na village.  Nearly all bamboo shacks though there are a a couple guesthouses.  At least one house had a huge satellite dish.  Television is a popular past-time.

Back to Luang Prabang to meet my travelling companions.  A stuff up by the travel agent who booked our bus to Vang Vieng and several hours wait at the bus station later we were headed south.  Lots more Lao scenery out the window. 

Yesterday we wnet tubing down the river that Vang Vieng lies on.  Tony and Erin were expecting some more rapids and a little more excitement... I didn't mind lying back and floating past all the cliffs.  Plenty of bars to pass by, all with bamboo sticks to pull you in by and calls of "BeerLao BeerLao".

We stopped at  one bar where the water was quite deep and all gave a flying fox into the water a go.  Bloody scary but I did it.  Once was enough.

Off to Vientiane, the capital tomorrow.  Will probably be there for a few days to get the visa for Cambodia. Maybe some more details on the past week's adventures?  Thanks for your the little bites from home!

Congrats Nica!!!!!

love, o & x

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

Hi Leah!
You are on your own + 2 .Came back today and having a BBQ at Bob's before I go back to work tomorrow morning. Finally found your site after Mary gave me the address. Have a lot of fun and take care!
Love Dad.
PS: Love your writing keep it up!

  Dad Mar 17, 2007 10:01 PM

About lptravel


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.