Existing Member?

3 countries, 6 weeks, 9 lives?

the one that got away

THAILAND | Wednesday, 28 February 2007 | Views [420]

Yes I am taking lots of photos and you would be surprised at how difficult everyone makes getting out of school; nearly impossible.  This is my L form I am talking about.  I posted it the other day... not sure if the girl in 7/11 gave me the correct stamp- she later sold us the incorrect phone card.  Anyway, I can't lodge it online but if I give the right person the right information via email, she will do it for me (apparently).  Lesson:  finish it in the first place (before they remove your course, it's okay, it is available till end 2008).

Thank you all for your comments!

So I did meet with Erin and Tony (he does all the daypack carrying) the night before we left Chiang Mai.  We walked through some of the night markets.  Ate dinner at a place called Baan 9:  great food, good sized meal and bargain price.  Walked past a store that sells jewellery and masks and stuff- I think they get a lot of trade business, stuff from Peru and Mexico apparently.  Even old manuscripts and books that look about 100 years old or more.  Very appealling but no money spent.  I think because I would feel like I am throwing it away compared to Erin.  She and Tony are nearing expert barter status.

I eventually tore myself away from the markets to at least enter the boxing match I had paid for in the morning.  Saw the end of 2 young boys fighting, then a Thai and English young woman and then a big Swede (not huge by our standards) and a Thai guy.  After the Thai guy was flattened I'd had enough. I saw what I had paid for.  It is quite a spectacle- the audience, the trainers, the routine of the prematch dance and greet.

Up early the next morning for a bus to Pai (said bye not pie).  Just the 3 of us.  Half bus size.  Lots of Thai people.  Very strange guy next to me... I think they like to put all the farang (foreigners) together on Thai transport, ordinary people seem to shy away from sitting near tourists.  Anyway, the guy turned out to be born in Argentina but lived in Italy.  Quite strange.  Good to laugh and raise eye brows about though.

The 4 hour trip was quite good.  NOt long out of the city and we were winding up the mountains with very green jungle and small villages along the way.  Up the front  of the bus were quite a few Thai people sitting on the floor and sacks of grain, there was a young girl travelling with her mother, with a very white looking doll in a red lace dress.  Had the camera ready the whole trip but was never able to get a shot of what I thought was an interesting contrast.  Oh well.

The rest break was welcome, thoguh we didn't eat anything.  Toilets are quite clean for what they are.  Still perfecting the art of squatting will holding onto a bag, a roll of toilet paper and sunnies.  Erin and Tony also got to fix their bench seat which had slid halfway off the frame... added to the fun of nearly running into cattle and other automobiles.

Breakfast at Pai at 12pm.  Quite welcome since we were up at 5.  Staying at Bann Shaesuan.  Very comfortable.  Enjoying a room to myself with a bathroom and hot shower!  Divine.  Quite cheap also.

Erin and Tony out on a dirtbike today.  Visiting all the attractions- waterfall, hot spring, elephant school.  NOt confident at all on the windy, narrow and undulating roads, I took a walk down the river today.  Down the farms and past the schools, kids swimming.

Pai is quite the hippy-relax-chillout town.  If there was an equivalent it might be Melanie.  Quite dry in town though, burnt hills as well.  Little disappointing compared to the cool jungle we bused through.

Off to enjoy a 39B Chang tallie now.  Not even $2.  Cheers Lex.

Tomorrow I think we will leave for Chiang Khong, the border town.  Not much in Chiang Rai we are told.  All well.  Tanned, changes with the footwear.

xo

Tags: Mountains

About lptravel


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.