Existing Member?

3 countries, 6 weeks, 9 lives?

wat wat wat

THAILAND | Friday, 23 February 2007 | Views [317] | Comments [1]

Here I am nearly half way around the world and I am in constant contact... my excuse is that I think everyone would like to be updated with our travels.  However, the Dutch girl I am sharing a room with (and a bed) has our key and in another guesthouse, I though I would give Erin and Tony some space.

Tony is quite the gentleman, of course.  Though he and I are getting a little tired of the convenient mix ups made with food/drink orders that always end up costing us a little more than what we ordered.  Erin like to study where we are off to and how to get there (which is a good thing).  Meanwhile, I am happy to go with the flow. 

Now that we are getting out of the big cities, Thai people and other travellers are a little more friendly and happy to have a chat. 

The trek down the Erawan waterfall path gave Erin a rolled ankle, which made scootering quite difficult.  So yesterday, we decided to spend a recovery day travelling so as not to miss too much. 

We caught a local bus from Kanchanaburi to Suphan buri where we changed buses for the second leg to Ayutthaya (the old capital).  The buses were a great way to start journeying into real Thailand (I feel like it is more real anyway).  It was great to watch the people on the bus, the country, people and houses go by outside, as well as lide at the bus station.  Thai people definitely cherish the family unit, young children always seem so joyful and parents/ grandparents always so caring.

Off the bus in Ayutthaya with about 7 other travellers made for a scramble to the guesthouse strip.  A girl from Holland and I are sharing a room while Erin and Tony have one across the road.  Rita (said herta, I think) is great to talk to... she is taking 6 months to travel Asia beofre starting her masters in organisational psychology.

We were lucky enough to expereince Chinese New Year celebrations last night.  Long night markets in the main street, dragon dancers and lots of people.  The westerners are starting to stand out in the crowds here.

Today the three of us rented a Tuk Tuk and our friendly driver, Wanchai, took us to all the oold temples (wat) and ruins around town.  Luckily film is so cheap here but I think everyone will get tired of looking through so many photos of temples and ruins.  I have really started to consider if the picture is worth taking!

We went to at least 7 sites.  My favourite is a large Cambodian style wat, surrounded by green grass.  Many many buddhas and spires and a very tall central tower.  The 'bricks' are quite small and the steps are polished to dips from all the feet that have walked over them in the past 500 years.

Lots of school children on excursions.  Filled out a couple of surveys (English studies?) and took several photos of and with the kids.

Tomorrow we catch the train to Lop buri, for the day and then intend to save on accommodation by  catching an overnight train to Chiang Mai.

Super hot at the moment- it is coming into hot season so hopefully hunting for a bed will become easier.  Keep hearing wonderful things about Laos.  Beer is a good friend.  No one has fallen ill yet  : ).  Cross fingers. Several scrapes are taking time to heal with the heat, humidity and sweat.

Loving every minute!

P.S.  Hope grandad and Cleo are fine, and the latter still slim and behaving.

Tags: Sightseeing

Comments

1

Hi Guys,
Glad to hear everyone's well and having a good time. Sounds like you all will be a bit fitter when you get home with all the hiking. Stace & Lauren started back at Uni today (bet their jealous of your tripping around), nose back into the books.
Luv
Gwen

  Gwen Parker Feb 26, 2007 7:44 PM

About lptravel


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.