Existing Member?

trust, love, and the unknown Ongoing with no expected outcome!

This Train is Bound to Glory

USA | Monday, 29 December 2008 | Views [252]

The city of Varanasi is the most incredible place I have ever been. I have to say I am relieved that it was because after the 26 hour train ride I was a little fragile to say the least. The most momentus part of the trainride had to be when we started gathering our bags to get off and we were told we had another 14 hours. Whoops... I read the ticket wrong.

The first experience of the train thing in India is pretty wild. We got to the station and it felt like we were in NYC's Grand Central station with a few less walls, a lot more people of color, some cows and dogs and goats, and people carrying all sorts of baskets and cloths and food and mysteries of luggage. We were the only white people waiting there for 2 hours. The station we were at is apparently infamous for robbery so after we asked the government officials where we go they kindly placed us behind orange ropes and a desk of officials.

The train was....cozy...and we had 2 upper sleeper beds with a few rusty dusty old fans between us. All night and day long people walked through selling all sorts of stuff and the songs and chanting never ends. At many points there was standing room only and Kurtis and I grinded our teeth and took deep breathes as we rode through the night and day as our bodies built resiliance around germs, fumes, smells, staring, mind boggling noises and little food and sleep.  

We gratefully set up a Hotel and a Pick-up (first time I've done that) and were pleased to see my name creatively spelled on a sheet of paper "Jenifar" as we were waiting in a blanket of homeless people covering every inch of the Varanasi train station. Whew!  Thank You Hotle Haifa our next glorious home

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.