Existing Member?

trust, love, and the unknown Ongoing with no expected outcome!

Post Office - A day event

USA | Monday, 1 December 2008 | Views [229]

Well I kept hearing about the process it takes to mail something from India and hearing rumors about wax and cloth and thread but had to do it myself and see and lucky Gretchen gets to be the reciever!

So I trek down to the office with things inside a canvas bag and go to a little table where a man sits behind with all sorts of materials piled around him like piles of trash and what the floor looks like after xmas presents have been open.

He has me fill at paper work and mean while takes part in a 45 minute ritualistic perfect moment by moment very intentional process to prepare by package to go by sea and air. The wrapping of the package was as perfect and careful as when my dad wraps my moms christmas presents:)

Step 1: He emptiesout the bag (i would have just shoved it all in a box) and folds everything up perfectly and piles it in a way to make a perfect brick. Then he wrappes a fleece I sent back around it and tucks the corners and folds it over. Each movement is very slow and careful. Now the fun begins: He puts the Package in a cloth bag and then in the canvas bag. Next he tucks the corners oh so tightly and wraps it with green rope - wrap then tie, wrap then tie, wrap then tie..... Then he takes clear packing tape and wraps all up horizontally and then vertically. Next its time for some news paper, sized up perfectly, then some plastic, more rope, more news paper and then the final homie touch...white fabric, a needle and thread and then sealed with red hot wax....it kind of looked like an awkward sized baseball.

Have fun opening it up Gretchen!!!!

sorry I can't edit this right now I have a New York Family next to me....a bit wild and loud:)!!!!

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.