Existing Member?

trust, love, and the unknown Ongoing with no expected outcome!

Chitwan!!!!!

USA | Thursday, 27 November 2008 | Views [373]

SO I have a new love - ELEPHANTS what amazing animals. So sweet and gentle and big a soft and sly and mysterious!!! They are just full of love and I cant wait to spend time with them again...hopefully in India and maybe one day Africa:)
I took another crazy busride to Chitwan national park. I stayed at the riverside hotel which was pretty fancy for me but very relaxing and some of my trekking friends were arriving the next day. i surrendered into a tourist package and i had a scheduled handed to me for 2 days of animals and jungle and food and culture and such.
the first thing we did was go to the breeding center where i saw twin baby elephants that were 12 days old and the second set of twins ever to be born in the world. They were so sweet and much much smaller then their mother. The next morning we set off in a canoe in the misty morning....the scene was like the mists of Avalon as we saw soooo many birds. Then we went into the jungle in search of tigers and rhinos...we didn't see any but we did see monkeys and wander for a few hours through beautiful vegetation looking at bugs and butterflies and hearing animal stories, seeing footprints of Rhinos and tiger scratches in the trees.
Later that day was the best part....Bathing with the elephant. I walked into the river climbed up on the elephant (on his head and trunk) in the  and she sprayed me and laid down and knocked me off. Over and over again I climbed back up and she sat down and i slid off. then while she was laying down i scrubbed and massaged her with a stone. It was soooo cool to just lay in her and hug her and ride her and climb and play. Later that day we rode elephants into the jungle - my barefeet felt so good hanging on the side of the elephant - and that is when i was blessed with the opportunity to see a mother and baby rhino...along with crocodiles and peacocks. The rhinos are so ancient looking with their armored skin and thick bodies. truely a treat.
Of course there were the people that i met...the greek guys who scooped me up at the bus as TONS of sales/tourguide companies attacked me and Karen who ended up being my roomie...when i first met her at the breeding center i said to her "you remind me of a good friend of mine...karen...and she said: Thats my name!!!!" funny:)
It was nice to cross paths with the "belgium girls" again and I was sad to see sofie in crutches after a silly rafting accident. if you are reading this send happy healing thoughts her way.
Karen and I also visited a nepelese honey shop owned by a man named OM. he invited us to his farm where we saw the bees and flowers and his baby goats and shared tea. Everybody in Nepal always wants to invite you for tea....and most of the time it is genuine:)
One evening we got to see cultural dance and music....I joined in (of course) although I have to admit my body'/knee/feet have not fully recovered from trekking and it was little challenging:(
the next day....off to india......a long trip......

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.