Existing Member?

The World According To Me

Weekend No.8 - NYC meets Boston

USA | Saturday, 1 November 2008 | Views [390]

The weekend started on friday morning with driving to work with my luggage (a VERY big bag, with enough clothes for at least one week) in rush hour. Oooh, the people weren't amuzed at all, when I steped into the subway :-) And because New York isn't a friendly city for people with heavy luggage or disabled people (they have no elevators in the subway-stations, but mostly escalators or stairs) I was sweating like hell when I arrived the office.

The same happend to me, when I drove from the office back to the bus stop. It was maybe either worse, because friday in the late afternoon the rush hour is horrible. So I had to let two subways pass, before I managed to get into one. Arrived the bus in the last minute, jumped in and the door closed. From NY to Boston you drive 4 hours which I spent with my IPod, watching the other passengers :-)

I arrived in Boston at 11pm, Lucas already waited for me and Oxana was going to be late. There was no time to eat in Manhattan, but I was sure that in Boston I will find something. Very disappointing, only McDonalds was opened, so I ate my first Fastfood-Burger since I am here in the States.

We spent the first evening at the campus, what was really funny. First we went to the Campus-Pub. At the entrance they have a cop standing who controls, that no unauthorised people enter the room. When you are a guest, a Bentley Student has to fill out a Guest-Card where you have to enter you Passport number and sign, that Bentley is not responsible for any deceases you could get from consuming alcohol. We were lucky, because though it took us long time to fill out these forms, we got the last 4 beers - the pub closes at half past 12. When we finished, we joined several student-parties on the campus, they are partying in several rooms :-) Grass is very popular and when I tought back to the pub-entrance, it was impossible not to think about the american society (alcohol No, drugs Yes).

On Saturday we made a trip to Salem, which is a outer district/town of Boston. The topic of this city is "witches" and one week before Halloween it was crowded. I felt like being in Prater, because there were so many people. But look at the photos, you will know what I mean :-)

In the evening we went to a mexican restaurant in Cambridge and after that we took the subway to Boston to go to a club. The music was strange, but danceable. Clever as we are, we left the club at 1:30 am (in Boston all Clubs and Pubs close at 2 am), to catch a cab without any troubles. What we didn't include into our plan, was the storm which was going on outside. It was terrible and it was impossible to get a cab (because, as in NY, as soon as it starts raining, everyone is taking a cab!). So we walked through the city for one and a half hours until we finally stopped in front of a hotel thinking, that if someone will come home, we could take his cab and go on. We waited 30 more minutes, but then we finally got one - good plan ;-)

On sunday, we were invited to a brunch in Harvard Business School. There were only Austrians (except Oxana *gg*) and it was really funny.

After the brunch, Oxana and me met with Filipe and he went with us to Boston, were we spent the afternoon at the harbour.

So, I actually didn't really see a lot from Boston, but it was a great trip and I'm happy I went there.

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.