Existing Member?

Lockers on the Loose World Trip

Panama City

PANAMA | Thursday, 28 May 2009 | Views [670]

Wednesday, May 27th

Nice start to the day when, without having to move an inch, I opened my eyes and saw Panama's skyline coming out of the morning mist across the Bay of Panama from the huge ceiling-to-floor window next to my bed. I then very much appreciated not having to queue for a shower and had fun making my own pancakes for breakfast (apparently this make-your-own pancake breakfast, mixture provided, is quite typical in Central American hostels).

Took a ride amongst the staring but friendly locals in one of the whacky, colourful, American-style buses (the so-called “diablo rojo”, “red devil”) to Panama Viejo where I met Melitza (Panamanian girl I met at Cartagena airport yesterday). The visitor's centre there was a good starting point for filling in the many gaps in my knowledge about Panama's history. I discovered it was founded in 1519 and during the 1520s and 1530s became a base for expeditions to Central and South America. In January 1671, it was attacked by the Welsh pirate Henry Morgan (it's interesting where Britain's aggressive foreign policy has popped up on this trip!). As a fire destroyed large parts of the city after Henry Morgan's looting of it, it was rebuilt in a new location in 1673, five miles from the original Panama site. That's why the city now has two "old towns" - Panama la Vieja (ruins from the Panama pre-Henry Morgan attack) and Casco Viejo, where the government buildings now are and where my hostel is.

Militza and I walked around the ruins and then popped into a little artisan market where my new Panamanian friend made an essential purchase for me ... a must-have, apparently, for any girl in South and Central America: dangly, hoop earrings. I'm sure I'll blend in now.

The day took one of those unexpected, with-a-local-anything-could-happen turns when Mily announced around lunchtime that she had actually just purchased a car (her first ever) and needed to go and collect it. And get this ... she wanted me to drive the car out of the car house as she hasn't had an automatic before (like I have!). I told her that would be crazy; Harrogate and Panama City driving environments couldn't be more different: organised, one-way street traffic, busy but respectful in a northern England town versus, well, pure chaos. I just wasn't sure I could drive and beep constantly, ignore red lights and forget to use my indicator. The Panamanians would have me for dinner; I would end up being the jam in the traffic, if you like.

So after a bit of an uproar because one of the documents wasn't ready (the girl has more balls than a snooker player), Mily eventually sat behind the wheel and unashamedly asked one of the garage men to drive her to the petrol station, fill and wash the car and then tell her how to drive it. Given her gorgeous Latin looks, she generally gets men eating out of the palm of her hand and today was no exception. Once the briefing was over, the keys were placed in Mily's hand and we jolted out of the car park giggling away. What is it with girls and garages, Mily and men!

Mily had the great idea of heading straight for The Amador Causeway, a narrow stretch of land which connects mainland Panama to four islands (as an aside, it was made by rocks excavated from the building of the Panama Canal). Lunch was a fantastic meal on the terrace of a restaurant overlooking a harbour full of yachts at the end of The Causeway whilst watching small boats making deliveries to the ships waiting to enter the Canal. It was all quite perfect and wonderfully unplanned.

On the way back to the mainland, I decided to take Mily up on her offer and drove her new Honda Civic back down The Causeway – probably the safest road in Panama to drive down given that there is water on both sides reducing the frequency of manic over-taking. At the end we stopped to take photos of the Bridge of Americas - an arched road bridge which spans the Pacific entrance to the Canal.

We wanted to watch the sun go down from the top of Cerro Ancon (a hill with supposed great views of the city) but the security man at the bottom warned us it was not advisable at dusk so we quickly checked out "Mi Pueblito" at its base (a number of artisan shops in an artificial village setting) before driving on to the convention centre where there was an artisan fair on (what an artisan day we were having!). It was great being with Mily because she took me to local hangouts and the fair was exactly one of these places. It was an enormous array of stalls selling traditional clothes, jewellery and food and it was buzzing with smiling Panamanians carrying new purchases. A band and dancers in traditional dress provided great background entertainment to the shopping frenzy. Mily bought me some sandals and I bought her a sunflower plant and a little accessory she'd said she'd liked so we too joined the masses leaving with smiles and bags.

It was late by the time Mily dropped me off at my hostel but she came in with me to check out information on trips to the San Blas Islands (an archipelago off the eastern coast of Panama). Mily has never been and I'm delighted that she's decided to join me on a trip there ... firstly because I think all Panamanians should see the paradise which lies on their doorsteps and secondly because she's a lot of fun and it feels like she's an old school friend despite having only met her a couple of days ago. We booked up for leaving on Friday ... at the shocking hour of 5am. That gives us one day to see the Canal, hike in Parque Metropolitano, walk to the top of Cerro Ancon, go salsa dancing and get some sleep. Why do I always want to do everything?

Thursday May 28th

Well not surprisingly, the overly-ambitious goals for today, bar one (the salsa dancing), were not achieved. As it was, I spent most of the morning and early afternoon just trying to get to the post office, conscious of the fact that I couldn't let another day pass without posting my sister's birthday card. The confusion came about when I asked a passerby what the name of the road I was on was called. According to my map it should have been the Central Avenue. I was told, however, that I was on Calidonia Road. As I had just walked through what looked quite a dodgy area, I wasn't too pleased about having to walk back through it but I did, half an hour back, in the rain. I then asked another passerby and was told that the road I had just come from, was, in fact, Central Avenue (as well as being Calidonia Road). So it was back past the same men calling out the same lines, ranging from hisses to almost marriage proposals.

I did eventually get to the post office and realised then why few people had been able to give me clear directions to it: the city famous for being a logistical hub, connecting the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, has a post office the size of small corner shop; in fact that's generous, it's maybe just a bit bigger than a newspaper stand, drab and archaic-looking without any sign outside to indicate it was a post office, nevermind the capital's central one. Anyway, to get to the point of this really not so interesting but at the time frustrating and therefore necessary-to-tell -to-clear-my-head adventure, my mail wasn't accepted because I had put celotape on the envelopes. The lady must have felt a wee bit sorry for me as I stood there wet and tired-looking and after a little pleading on my part, she got someone to make some new, larger envelopes for me into which I could slide my dangerous celotape envelopes.

As I was walking down the street wondering whether my sister would ever get her birthday card, Mily phoned me (she's lent me a mobile, how strange does it feel to be called after 10 months of not being contactable!) and told me she could meet me for a late lunch in an hour or so. I decided to kill some time by heading to Via Espana, one of the main streets in Panama, to try and change my Colombian pesos into dollars. It wasn't a particularly pleasant walk there, along busy, congested streets and passed more men who felt the urge to hiss and refer to me as their amor but I managed to complete my mission and was entertained in the queue in the process by three Israeli guys who were making out to an elderly Panamanian woman that they were musicians from Cuba. Upon leaving money exchange place, Mily phoned again and told me to head to Via Argentina. Unfortunately, she failed to tell me where on Via Argentina and, in the Panamanian style of hanging up without saying goodbye, I didn't get the chance to ask her for that small detail. I had no credit on the phone to call back so just headed to the street and hoped she'd phone back soon. Given that by now it was going on 4pm, I had practically walked across the whole of Panama City, had had nothing to eat since breakfast and knew that we had no chance of getting to see Panama Canal the same day, the 45 minute wait in the rain was somewhat soul destroying. All was forgiven, however, when she came around the corner smmiling and started telling me she was going to take me to a salsa class after our late lunch.

The class was the highlight of the day, three hours of instruction and practice with whoever asked us to dance. We left around 9.30pm, conscious that we had to be up at 4am to leave on our trip to the San Blas islands. After driving back to the hostel, packing my bags for the trip, and checking my e-mails, it was actually gone midnight by the time I sneaked through the dorm into bed. I guess I'll be able to rest on the desert island ... no electricity after 10pm, just huts and sand ... what could possibly keep us up so late there?

 

About lockers


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Panama

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.