Existing Member?

Lockers on the Loose World Trip

First Day in New Orleans: June 25th 2009

USA | Sunday, 28 June 2009 | Views [807]

@page { size: 8.5in 11in; margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } -->

I'd fallen into bed at 1am in Antigua, Guatemala, and my alarm went at 3.15am for the taxi minibus to the airport. I couldn't get my rucksack closed so in the end dragged it down onto the street half open and got the taxi man to help me. Monique came down to wave me off, bless her. I've had so much fun with her and hope we keep in touch.

It took about an hour to get to the airport. It was dark, misty and cold and I felt very tired. We passed a terrible crash at one point where smoke was rising from a car smashed to pieces. It made me think if I hadn't messed around trying to get my bag closed, we would have been on the road a couple of minutes earlier and we might have been involved in it. The difference a minute can make sometimes.

The check-in all went smoothly, I paid my $3 departure tax and went to sit in the gate area. I was confused when I read Miami on the computer above the gate so went to ask someone and discovered I would, in fact, be flying to Miami, collecting my bags and then on to New Orleans. Nice to know.

After 5 months of travelling through South and Central America, it was no wonder that Miami airport was a culture shock. The police seemed loud and over-controlling. “Come on”, a guy bellowed, “get your documents ready, move along!”. The food was expensive ($8 for a sandwich, $2.80 for a small bottle of water) and the people walking around all seemed very flashy and fashion-conscious. On the plus side, I got to put my paper in the toilet instead of in the bin next to it. I said goodbye to the Dutch couple I'd been chatting with, grabbed myself some sushi (if I'm going to pay $8, I'd rather get sushi than a sandwich) and tried and failed to get wireless internet (there was a charge; isn't it ironic that the richer the country, the harder it is to get free wifi?) What with long queues at passport control, however, I didn't have long until I was boarding my flight to New Orleans.

We flew over some amazing-looking islands with long stretches of golden beaches and extensive causeways which connected pieces of land way out at sea to the mainland. When we landed in New Orleans and I disembarked, the first thing I noticed was the heat and then that the signs which were all in English and French instead of English and Spanish like in Miami. The atmosphere also seemed a lot more laid back.

As I followed the signs to baggage claim, I suddenly saw Garry leaning on a wall. It took me by surprise as I didn't think the general public were allowed in that part of the airport. We had a big hug and it felt so nice to see a familiar face half way across the world. I quickly entered Garry's world: his car was large and smooth, his house beautiful and stylish and his girlfriend, Krista, tanned and gorgeous. Once I'd be shown my room (what a luxury!), I gave them the presents I had bought (it was a bit disappointing to see Garry already had a hammock but never mind), got changed into a skirt and top and we all headed out for pizza.


We bought a bottle of wine back from the restaurant to enjoy at the house. At some point during the course of the afternoon/evening, Krista told me that Michael Jackson had died. I was shocked. Isn't he the kind of person you just imagine always being around? And how strange to think that if I ever have children, I'll have to tell them, “so there was this singer, called Michael Jackson. He died before you were born.”

Garry's work mate, Anne, came round to help us with the wine and before I knew it, we were heading out to an 80s club. It was a great setting – like an old theatre with a huge video screen and, most importantly, lots of room to dance. Michael Jackson tunes played throughout the night, we drank cuba libres and I danced away until the fact that I'd only had two hours' sleep the night before started to take its toll. I had a rest on the stage behind the curtain until the security man told me I couldn't sit there. We headed to another bar for a change of scene and I managed to pick up a bit more energy although some glass in my toe stopped me from dancing further (when will I learn not to dance barefoot?). Garry's friend, Keith, drove us home around 3am. What a day it had been – from waking up in a Guatemalan house, to a surprise flight to Miami, to dancing in downtown New Orleans.



About lockers


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.