Existing Member?

Lockers on the Loose World Trip

Guatemala: June 19th to 25th

GUATEMALA | Friday, 26 June 2009 | Views [536]

On the 18 hour bus ride from Managua in Nicaragua to Guatemala City, I met an Australian girl, Monique, and, after being advised that it wasn't safe to get a public bus on a Sunday evening to Antigua, we shared a 30 dollar taxi (which was painful but sense prevailed.) We went on to spend 5 wonderful days together. We walked up the active volcano Pacaya (very hot underfoot), shopped til we dropped at Antigua and Chichicastenango's artisan markets, spent a couple of nights at Lake Atitilan, participated in yoga, salsa and hip hop lessons, found a wonderful restaurant full of locals at the back of a shop in Antigua where we returned 3 times and heard an ex member of the Buena Vista Social Club sing in a wee bar on my last night (where I also bumped into Tom, the Austrian guy from Isla Ometepe). We had pretty lousy weather for the jam-packed days we shared together but it didn't stop us having a lot of fun. In fact, on our last day together, as I was getting a 2 hour all-body massage for $25, Monique ended up spontaneously skinny dipping with a guy we'd befriended over breakfast! She said that I inspired her to do such things!

True to form, I set off to the airport to fly to New Orleans via Miami (which was a surprise at the boarding gate as I thought it was a direct flight!) on two hours of sleep because Monique and I had been out salsa dancing the night before. As I sat bewilded on my flight to Miami, I pondered on the four great weeks I'd just had in Central America; I'd seen some amazing nature, befriended some more great people and now had dozens more places to put on the "To Return To" list. This trip was meant to be shortening my list of places to visit but as it turns out, it is merely extending it. I was sad to be leaving Spanish-speaking countries (travelling always seems more fun when you're not in an English-speaking country) but excited about seeing Garry in New Orleans.

About lockers


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.