Existing Member?

Lockers on the Loose World Trip

Nicaragua: Isa Ometepe – San Juan - Granada. June 15th to 18th

NICARAGUA | Tuesday, 23 June 2009 | Views [293]

One evening at the lovely Hacienda Merida on Isla Ometepe, I met a guy from Texas, a guy from England, a German girl and a guy from Austria and we spent a number of hours drinking and playing "pigs" together. Only the Texan, Travis, was going my way after Ometepe so we hooked up to travel a few days together.

Travis persuaded me to deter my plan to go to Granada by one day so that we could check out San Juan beach on the Pacific coast. I was easy to persuade as I knew it would be my last chance to be on a beach for this trip. Travis pointed out to me that as the Lonely Planet has to cover a lot of ground in its travel guides, it has to be extremely economical with its descriptions and a couple of words can be crucial. Thus, argued Travis, if the guide on Nicaragua stated that San Juan was a place where the elite of Nicaragua went on holiday, it must be a pretty nice place. In short, how could I come to Nicaragua and not go there? (I've said something similar to myself so many times on this trip ... but there's only so much you can fit into a world trip!). I'm glad he persuaded me anyway; San Juan is a lovely resort. We had one evening there and went, armed with a bottle of rum and some cokes, in search of sun set views. When we got to the lookout of Christ on the rocks, however, we were too late. We tried to bribe the security man up there with rum but failed so stumbled down in darkness, trying to dodge hundreds of crabs. We settled for a bit of a karaoke session on the beach with my ipod and speakers and continued it, via getting some food, back at the hostel. We paid for it in the morning when the cleaner sang outside our room at 8am. I looked across at Travis to get his reaction and saw him lying with his head torch still on and his light beaming from his forehead. An hilarious sight to wake up to.

The next morning, we got a chicken bus to Granada. Going with Travis' technique of reading INTO the LP, we went for the hostel with “roof top views” and it led us to some nice accommodation (Hospedaje Cocibolca) in a very pleasant area of Granada. Granada was pretty but apart from the food stalls around the plaza at night and a little bar we came across with live music and people salsa dancing, we found it to be a bit souless. We therefore decided to see some of the surrounding area and did a day trip to Mayasa to visit the markets (an artisan one and a local smelly one where we braved lunch). From there we hopped on a bus to Lagoon Apoyo and arrived just as a storm started. It didn't stop us from plunging into the lake though. I've never seen a lake with so many waves!

I spent my 29th birthday in Granada. I enjoyed a great breakfast with Travis (omelette, scrambled eggs, pancakes, tortillas, coffee) but the rest of the day was a bit dull as I had to sort out an onward bus ticket to Guatemala, it rained and the lakeside walk was a huge disappointment. We went out for a Mexican for dinner but I had to leave at 1am for my 18 hour bus journey to Guatemala City ... so although I didn't get much sleep, it wasn't because of wild celebrations!

About lockers


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Nicaragua

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.