Existing Member?

Lockers on the Loose World Trip

Arrival in Panama

PANAMA | Wednesday, 27 May 2009 | Views [714]

Tuesday, May 26h

Here's the thing. I'm way behind with this journal so figure I'd be best just jumping to today and writing up the end of Brazil, Venezuela and Colombia (!) at a later date.

So, I was happy to creep out my dingy guest house in Cartagena, Colombia, this morning where I'd been constantly paranoid that people were spying on me through the numerous holes in my bedroom's ceiling and where I'd sat listening to the owners having a shouting match last night. I was also proud of myself for resisting the temptation of taking a taxi to the airport and for buying all my breakfast from street stalls, including one wonderful last jugo de zapote.

I was in the check-in queue two hours before the 9.30am departure time and it was a good job as the airline, Aires, was opening every piece of luggage and going through its contents thoroughly. This made me a little anxious as it took me a good 15 minutes this morning to get my rucksack closed as, due to restrictions on the number of pieces of luggage, I couldn't do my usual trick of cramming everything in and putting any items which don't fit into a plastic bag. I warned the police guy that he was free to go through all my stuff but he'd better help me get it all back in. When I unzipped my rucksack, he started muttering something in Spanish about I should have bought a bigger bag, poked at one thing and then just told me to go straight to the check-in desk. Thank goodness - packing my rucksack for a flight is now a work of art! The searches weren't over then though as when I went through to the gate, my hand luggage and person were both checked ... twice. Maybe the customs staff know that visits to a “secret” cocaine production site are now, unbelievably, part of the trek to The Lost City in Colombia.

I got talking to a colourfully-dressed, African-styled girl from Panama, called Militza, in the check-in queue in Cartagena and on arriving in Panama City (an hour's flight), she offered me a lift into town with her husband, Chinese-born Enrique. This was fantastic as there were no direct buses to my hostel. As we left the airport, I commented to Militza that she looked beautiful in what she was wearing (she'd bought a mulit-coloured headscarf in Colombia and had it across her forehead and going down her back) and she replied that she doesn't always dress up but “today I'm travelling”. The difference between myself and her, the backpacker and the short term holiday-er, suddenly dawned on me; Militza saw travelling as the day when she was on show; I saw it as the day that I had to try and blend in with the crowds so as to try and appear less foreign; the day I have to wear trainers instead of dainty shoes so as to free up space in my rucksack and wear dark colours so not to get prettier light clothes dirty as I drag them onto different modes of transport.

One of the nice things about travelling is the surprises it entails. Little did I know, when I was getting into the car with Militza and Enrique, that within a few minutes I would actually be standing not under the shower in my hostel but in a Panamanian girl's flat, watching her face drop in horror as she discovered that a cockroach had taken a plunge into her fish bowl while she'd been away. It was a bloody scene but miraculously the fish had survived, unlike the cockroach (which apparently can live up to 9 days after losing their heads ... but evidently not if they lose their heads to water). The detour was a result of Militza suggesting we all go for lunch together via picking her mother up and dropping her luggage off. Enrique insisted on paying for my meal. I was touched by the friendliness and generosity. What a welcome to Panama!

A number of things always strike you when you get to a new country and it's good to note them down before you get used to them and forget that they were ever interesting. For Panama it would be the following:

  • Panama's currency is US Dollars for notes and its own currency, Palboas, for coins, although US cents can also be used so there is, in effect, two dual currencies.

  • Militza's mother, Betty, came to lunch with her hair curlers in. Apparently this is quite common practice (I also saw women with curlers in on the streets in Colombia). She explained that she didn't like to use a hair drier and apparently needs to leave them in for 3-4 days and nights (!) for them to have the desired affect.

  • The traffic in Panama City is horrendous and there is no metro system.

  • From what I've heard so far, English is more widely spoken than in South America.

  • Men still hiss in the streets to try and get your attention, like in South America.

  • It's another country where you are led to think things are cheaper than they are as tax is only added on to the price tags at the checkout.

Castle Luna Hostel

Situated in the old town, it has just about everything a good hostel should have: it provides you with a handy pocket-sized map on arrival indicating loads of useful things for backpackers (like where to get buses from, where there are cheap eateries and fruit stalls, which areas you shouldn't walk in after dark, the main sites and activities, etc.); it serves a breakfast of pancakes, bananas and coffee each morning (three of my favourite breakfast items!); it has info files made up detailing anything from which takeaways will deliver to the hostel to what the bus timetables are for getting to Costa Rica; the dorms have wonderful views looking out to the skyline of Panama's new town across Panama Bay; towels are provided (huge bonus); there are lockers in the rooms and you can purchase padlocks from reception (let's hope I don't lose the key for this one); there is a ping pong table, free wifi, 2 book exchanges, an assortment of board games and friendly staff!

I was eager to go and explore my new surroundings before dark so quickly showered and headed out. This old area of Panama, the so-called casco viejo, is beautiful; it contains the presidential palace, pretty squares, crumbling old buildings with real character and a cathedral. What really got me buzzing, however, was the walk along the water's edge with fantastic views of The Causeway on one side, ships out at sea in front of me, sky rises of the new town on the other side and pelicans flying over head. Moments like those – the exciting first views of a place which was only a name in the air to me before and the curiosity those sights inspire about where I have landed – is one of the absolute joys of travelling.

Dinner was probably the lowlight of my afternoon with a packet of noodles made in a kitchen surrounded by groups of people who already know each other. I'm too tired to be social tonight but hope to get a good night's sleep so that I can “make friends” tomorrow (oh that recurring first-day -at-school feeling!).

It's amazing how many things can happen to you in one day ... breakfast from street stalls in Colombia, a flight over the Caribbean, lunch with new friends in a restaurant in Panama, a murder scene in a flat, a walk through an historical quarter and a rendez-vous with the Pacific Ocean. Oh, and at 1am, I've just finished chatting to my dad on Skype where he could see me on his computer screen. What an amazing world.

About lockers


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Panama

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.