Existing Member?

Lockers on the Loose World Trip

Tokyo, July 25th-26th

JAPAN | Saturday, 26 July 2008 | Views [552]

After a couple of gin and tonics, wine, comdy shows and little sleep, we arrived in Tokyo, curious to see where we were but struggling to keep our eyes open. After being up for 27 hours and checking out the local area around the hostel, we gave in and had an hour's power nap at 5pm. That enabled us to pick up enough energy to head into the city, have a sushi picnic, view the night lights from about 20 floors up and get a feel for Japenese nightlife. I fell into bed around midnight and strangely dreamt I was still in Barcelona.

Woke up today feeling refreshed and and pleased that the coffin-like beds (called capsules here) are actually quite comfortable. Today we visited the Imperial Gardens, the Meji shrine (where we were lucky enough to see two weddings taking place) and had more Sushi in the shopping area called Roppongi. The tidiness and order of Tokyo is amazing both of us. You are not allowed to smoke on the streets, we struggle to find bins anywhere but the streets are spotless and there are men in white gloves ushering everyone around. We have managed to get around on the (even for Noonan) difficult metro system and have discovered it is a good place to escape the heat (all air conditioned) and check out the fashion (fans are big with the men and sweat absorbing towels for women).

Tonight we are heading off for a huge firework display which our air hostess told us about. When we asked what the occasion was, we were just told that "we like big fireworks in Japan. Big bangs. No reason."

Robbie has already managed to upload some photos, so for those of you not on facebook, here's the link: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1156895&l=91066&id=578525451

Dschah mata!

Just back from the fireworks. The air hostess was right. Big bangs! The most organised display I have ever been to!

About lockers


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.