Existing Member?

This town has all uphills and no downhills... France/Portugal/Spain 2013 SE Asia 2012

Pitlockry Day 1

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 25 September 2023 | Views [63]

We woke up early in Leith because we needed to get out of the AirBnB by 10 am and we needed to catch a train. I convinced Jared and my Mom not to take a cab so that we could take the hop on and hop off bus again as our ticket was good for 24 hours and dropped us off 1.5 blocks from the train station. I was about to get them out by 11 and we waited at the bus stop for no more than 10 minutes, during which time I chatted with a local young man who was bemoaning how expensive Leith had become- a two bedroom would cost you $1400!!! Well needless to say these folks from DC, Portland and Miami didn't think that was too expensive.

 

We got to the train station and pretty easily bought a ticket but we would have saved half the price had we purchased them in advance ($27 per person). We had a burger, crisps and a coke at the train station and waited on our train. They didn't post the track number until 10 minutes before - and it was packed! We were able to snag some disabled seats. Jared and my mom sat together and I sat next to another young man who asked me all about my travels. People here are very friendly. He told me Pitlockry was beautiful but there wasn't anything to do there.

 

We had beautiful weather for the train ride - and a gorgeous ride through the countryside. 

The train took about two hours - during which time my mom cooed over some dog that threw up in the train- a chow chow with big puffy hair.

 

Christine and Don both were waiting for us on the train platform. I don't think I've ever had someone wait on a train platform to see me before and it felt really heartwarming. It was great to see them both. Jared and Mom rode with Christine in her new hybrid car back to their house and I walked with Donald back to their house as it wasn't far. We got to walk through most of the very picturesque town of Pitlockry. 

Jared, Donald and I took a walk past the old mill and to the co op grocery where Jared bout dessert - carrot cake and local ice cream. The town is small but very nice - set up for tourists with tons of shops (including coffee shops).

After settling in we had tea and biscuits at 4 pm and a feast repaired by Christine at 7:30 - venison stew and a delicious lentil and mushroom curry for me. 


We stayed up until midnight talking before bed. It was a good day. 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About lizscar


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.