Existing Member?

Beyond Our Conestoga

More Malaysian Times

MALAYSIA | Saturday, 16 January 2010 | Views [546] | Comments [3]

Learned to love: Roti Prata (Indian thin fry bread)

Learned to despise: Walking around hot, tired, hungry, with a loaded pack and most important to this equation...lost!

Will need to learn to accept: Rats roaming the halls. Just got to keep hoping they don't have a way into our room. I mean, the room s-h-o-u-l-d be secure, right?

Bad Habit forming: Love of coffee. It is just so good here, and being tired walking around in the sun all day, an afternoon pick me up is heaven. Iced, coffee with condensed milk. Yum!

Favorite City so Far: Kuala Lumpur. Locals just call it 'KL' 

Best Item purchased: Beautiful batik cloth painting.

Favorite Meal: Indian Hawker stand where we weren't even sure we should be drinking our tea because it came with suspicious looking ice. But oh man, the Nan and Tandoori and Nasi Gelong was deluctable. Moist, flavorful, spiced just right and you can't beat the price..approx. $4 for the two of us, inlcuding the drinks. 2 days later, not sick, so that makes it even better!

Today we went to the Batu Caves. Great. 1/2 bus ride out to a cliff edge were you hike up 200+ (lost count) steps up into a grotto where there is a Hindu Temple. Witnessed monkeys stealing food from the hands of those mad enough to get close enough.

Tomorrow on to the National Park, Tamaru N. in NE Malaysia. Hope to explore caves and go canopy walking, maybe even get some camping in. We'll see.

Our groove is kicking in. Have to plan more time to get around to account for the Where the F'in are we?

Comments

1

I have been enjoying the comentary and the pictures. The food looks different and intresting. We also found that getting the food from the locals was better. Continue to enjoy your adventure. Oh the picture of the toilet was better than the small round hole in China.

  Jim Jan 17, 2010 11:17 AM

2

Yeah - where the F are you guys?
I'm organizing that Brewpub Crawl on the 30th.
Sorry you won't be able to make it!

  Mike Jan 18, 2010 12:56 PM

3

just lettin' you know i'm enjoying living vicariously through you. keep it going! Hey Mike (whoever you are), I'm available on the 30th for that Brewpub Crawl! :)

  James (Westmark) Jan 23, 2010 10:04 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.