Existing Member?

Beyond Our Conestoga

Walking through the ally

MALAYSIA | Saturday, 16 January 2010 | Views [328]

This is our last day in KL (Kuala Lumpor).  We're staying in Chinatown which is pretty much right in the middle of the city.  This is the first place that feels like a big city.  It's dirty, loud, and non stop.  There's also a lot of really good food.  The first night we got in we were walking around the huge open market in Chinatown and at one point it seemed as if there were more westerners around us than locals.  We passed on restoran (malay) and every single person was of western look and all had a beer infront of them.  So much for being around the locals.  Today we were running some erronds around town and found a cut through through the "market"  It ended up being a complete different world.  There were breaking down the wet market (food market) for the day.  Stalls of veges, meat, and chickens (alive and dead, your choice) emptied and the Local stall owners cleaning down.  We'll probably eat there tomorrow, maybe try to hunt down some frog congee. 

As for food we've been eating a lot of indian and malay food.  Goreng is a kind of chili sauce, kind of like sweet chili (mae ploy), but malay or indonesian.  We found this great stand outside one of the markets that had fritters of something with this sauce and fresh crushed peanuts in it.  Nice balence of textures and flavors.  The funny thing about eating at the stands is that no matter if the locals have to stand in line to order and play, we always get ushered in and waited on.  I guess there appreciative we're eating there.  There definately is a difference between local spots and tourist restaurants.  Haven't had a bad meal yet, but some have had more inspiration than others.  As we were walking to the internet cafe, we passed a cook setting up for the evening outside. (a whole other topic) and he was topping of a container of msg.  Tasty.

About a week or 2 more in Malaysia then on to Thailand.

 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.