Existing Member?

Beyond Our Conestoga

Game of Catch Up

MALAYSIA | Sunday, 24 January 2010 | Views [525] | Comments [3]

We have been on the move so much, I feel we have jipped updating everyone what we've been up to/where we've been. Can't get photos to upload now, sorry, and the ones before took so long, sorry I couldn't upload more. I know pictures are fun to look at. More to share when we return I guess, or at least till we find a reliable fast connection.

OK. So a little reporting:

From Singapore we headed into Malaysia where at our first land border crossing, we learned a little on keeping receipts from the bus to prove how we got to the border. Otherwise harmless though. Traveled by bus up to the town of Melaka on the Western shores of Southern Melaka. Here, arriving tired and hungry we managed to get a little lost. Well, not lost, just unable to find the right place to stay. But through all the frustration and turning down (what I am sure will be a haven in the future), dank, musty hotel rooms, we finally find a very nice inn keeper with one more room to book for the night. It was clean, no bed bugs, had a window, a fan, and a balcony! wahoo!! Cold showers down the hall--we'll take it! The inn keeper chuckled when we came in, he said, "Took you guys a while, huh? I saw you get off the bus. Where have you been?" Our response..."exploring."


A day of (planned) exploring Melaka was enough. It is a World Heritage Sight, so many historical areas. Wondered Old chinatown mostly, with many antique shops. Great prices, if that was what we wanted. Had some traditional Nnonya food and ready to move on. A good stop over city, and that's about it. But were we done exploring Melaka? Of course not. Our trusty guide book description of a 10 minute walk to the Express bus station took a long 1 and 1/2 hours in the blazing sun walking in circles to find the place. So our bus on into Kuala Lumpur got us into town a little later than planned.

We arrived to a barrage of buses at a very very very overcrowded bus station. Actually, not even at the bus station. It was so full, the bus driver told us to get out and walk 2 blocks north of the station because the road was jammed with buses not moving. Glad we weren't heading out of KL. But what about when we do? eh--we'll worry about it then.

In KL is our first windowless room. Amazing difference a fan makes and at least a window into the hall for some circulation. Here is where I also began to accept living with rats (or was the mouse really that big?). Lot of street meandering in KL. We made our way out to Petronas Towers and got up early to get tickets to walk across the skybridge. Done that. Seen that kind of experience. A stroll through CHow Kit Market was our first good true market. Under all these tents, it was dark and just kept going and going going....vegs, chickens, fish, squid, beans, eggs, eggs, eggs, spices, lamb, pork, what is that fruit? Alive, Dead, Whole, how many kilos? At night around Chinatown Market, knock off galore, what's your choice, Gucci, deLour, Virsace? "Hey boss, hey boss" "Hey miss, hey miss" "Hey friend , hey friend" "Bag for you? Glasses for you? Adios for you? (no, that is not a typo).

It was in KL we had the most scrumptious Indian Meal. I drool just thinking about it. Chicken tandoori, so tender and moist and spiced oh so perfectly, with a little dahl and fresh Naan. I could live off this stuff.

We spend a morning heading out to the BATU Caves. A local 1/2 bus ride and somehow an 1 hour return (traffic) out to a cliff line with a huge cavern. Up many many many steps to a Hindu Temple. WHile this is a place to see, it is still a religious site and feel some what strange taking pictures while people pray. I am trying to learn to stop taking so many pictures and just let the experience happen. Saving the memory space helps too. I don't need 100 photos of each place we go (I am exagerrating of course). Don't worry, those I know desperate for photos, I am still getting the good ones!

Two and a half days in KL (our favorite city so far) and we're off to my favorite place so far. Taman Negara National Park, the oldest Rain forest in the world.

Comments

1

We're really enjoying these Leisa. Please keep them coming

  Marshall F Jan 24, 2010 1:15 PM

2

I finally made it to the blog and couldn't stop reading. The pictures are wonderful. Thanks for taking that time to download. I will certainly look forward to the ones you bring home. Sounds like it is quite an adventure!! I look forward with relish to more of your descriptive blogs and your very interesting writing style.

  Sandy M Jan 28, 2010 7:22 AM

3

I haven't been to the national park yet, now I know I should!

  Youna Feb 11, 2010 6:36 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.