Existing Member?

National Parks Plus

Moab; and another must see drive: UT-128

USA | Thursday, 25 June 2009 | Views [606] | Comments [5]

What a great day. We slept in and cut our jeep crawl from a full day to a half day. A ton of fun though once we got going. We crawled all over the Fins & Things Jeep trail of the BLM’s Flat Rock Recreation Area. At some moments we were bumping around, and the next we are looking straight up at the blue sky totally unsure if there is going to a road to follow when we crest the hill. The contrast is going down an incline hoping that the rear of the Jeep doesnt come over your head and beat you to the bottom. Thrilling. I have put some shots in the gallery and need to get some of Crockett’s to show you later.

After shaking off the extra adrenaline we went to visit Arches National Park. Wow. You sit in amazement at the Balancing Rock and the Windows on the World arches and all the other formations. And you know that God is an artist. The years of wind and water and climate change and floods and who knows what all it takes to make place like this so beautiful. Again, you all need to visit our National Parks. There is so much to see and learn and experience.

Without question though, the highlight of my day was finding another absolutely must do drive. One of those requirement for citizenship type drives. The main route into Moab south off of I-70 is Hwy 191. The alternative route is a 45 mile or so scenic route which follows the Colorado River for about 30 miles. I’m not sure what it would look like to drive along the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon further south, but I got a pretty good idea today. The BLM has campsites along the river from Dewey Bridge south to the intersection with 191 in Moab. I have posted some photos but I urge you strongly to add this drive to your must see list. For more info, go to http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/recreation/recreation_areas/colorado_riverway.html

After leaving the River, the final 15 miles or so before you get back to I-70 becomes the high desert. There is nothing – just vast expanse devoid of just about anything. GO NOW before it changes!

Don't forget to check the gallery.

Worth a thousand words

Worth a thousand words

Comments

1

im so jealous of y'all is every drive to a national park a citizenship requirement?

  Crayton Jun 26, 2009 11:13 PM

2

Don't be jealous bud, I'm coming back and you're coming with me. We have a lot to catch up on.

And, the answer is "no" not every drive is must do, but if you want it to be I will see what I can do. Love and miss you.
Daddy

  Lee Jun 27, 2009 12:48 AM

3

Hey Cray,
I hate to contradict your Father, but actually the answer to your question is "YES" if your name happens to be BOWIE. You just cant help yourself to see these things. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

  Grandpa Bowie Jun 27, 2009 6:17 AM

4

I KNEW you would love Moab!!! I'm so glad you were able to get there!!! Arches National Park is truly spectacular, especially on a full moon night!!! Natchez and I are headed there in September (our girl-dog trip)!!! Ya'll have FUN!!!!!!!!!!

  Sheila Jun 27, 2009 10:59 AM

5

I'm with Crayton, I'm jealous! Are you ready to pack up and move out there? Maybe Sheila will let you have some space on her floor or camp outside.

  Pamela Jun 27, 2009 12:51 PM

About leebowie


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.