Existing Member?

National Parks Plus

CSU; RMNP; and the Colorado River west

USA | Wednesday, 24 June 2009 | Views [269]

The campus of Colorado State Univerity was pleasant.  Not as picturesque as CU in Boulder but still very nice with lots of green space.  In fact, CSU is real into all things Green.  They do have the program Crockett is interested in, Environmental Engineering, so we will see .....

We finished the tour around 11:30 and drove the short distance south to Loveland for lunch and grocery shopping.  Afterwards we drove the canyon into Estes Park.  Of course, we were ooing and awwing the whole way and then BAM, you get to the park and the beauty and views just take your breath away.  We had a great campsite and set up our tent before the short afternoon sprinkle and before heading out to explore the east side of the park.  We saw deer, elk, big horn sheep, marmots and mountain blue birds.  We say falls, and mountain lakes and simply enjoyed our afternoon walking, driving and hanging out.

When we returned to the campsite, we had a big doe waltz right through the middle of our site, slightly perturbed that we were in her way.  For dinner we grilled up some steaks in our fire ring and warmed our baked beans on the pocket rocket.  This fine meal was complemented by a slice of wheat bread and bottled water.  After dinner and clean up, we sat by the fire before going to the 9:00 interpreter's program on mountain lions (and I thought it was going to be about cougars.)  We were back to our fire by 10:00 and snug in the tent by 11:00.

I awoke early (5:00) and had cheerios with the sunrise.  Crockett got up later and we packed up and headed westward and upward by 8:00.  As always here, there is lots of snow on the alpine tundra when you get to about 10,000 feet.  One noticeable change in the park is the damage done by the pine beetle on a fair number of the ponderosa pines.  It hasn't damaged the Douglas Fir or the aspen trees; the park service is doing an admirable job tackling the damage and control of the infestation.

After the Divide, the park road runs alongside of the swamp which is the formation of the headwaters of the Colorado River.  Like my trip with Crayton last year, which followed for a long way the Missouri River, this journey with Crockett will follow the Colorado into Utah.  Before leaving the park, we saw more elk and a mother cow moose and calf.  Cray and I saw a similar pair last year in about the same location.

From the park, we went south to Granby before turning west for Hot Sulphur Springs and Kremmling.  From Kremmling, we went southwest (tracking the river) on a partially paved 25 mile road, #1, down to State Bridge.  From there south to I-70.  Once on the interstate, we continue west following the river.  I can't remember for sure when I last went through Glenwood Springs, but I know its been 35 years.  The drive is spectacular.  The canyon is really too much for words.  The best thing I can tell you to do is to get in your car and see it for yourself (bikes are popular out here too!)

Past Glenwood Springs, the surface starts to spread out again.  By the time you get to Rifle, the valley is wide with mesas off to your left and right.  By the time you get to Grand Junction the mesas are miles and miles apart and you feel like you are sitting in the middle of a great ancient ocean.

[We paused in Grand Junction for some Transformer action.]

Leaving Grand Junction and heading southwest into Utah (with the river) the highway has exits about every 45 miles.  One piece I read claims this is the most desolate stretch of highway in the US.  The farscapes were compelling.  Whereas last year, in the Dakotas, the views were of far off buttes, and badlands, here the views are of desert and distant cliffs rising on your north and south.  We then turned south towards Moab, and Arhces NP and Canyonlands NP.  I hope to tell you a little bit about them on another day.

Father & Son at Bear Lake redux

Father & Son at Bear Lake redux

About leebowie


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.