Existing Member?

National Parks Plus

Badlands

USA | Saturday, 14 June 2008 | Views [274] | Comments [7]

We took off from Sioux Falls around 8-8:30 and headed west on I-90. Wall Drug in Wall, SD must be the Rock City of the north. If they had one billboard, they must have had 100s. Of course, over the 290 miles to Badlands, Wall Drug wasn't the only oddity. I passed signs for and eventually the actual Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD. Free Admission. It reminded me of Teri and Pam taking a trip years ago across country and stopping at every largest ball of twine or ear wax or something.

2/3 of SD appears to be one big farm. Which by the way includes Laura Ingalls home and the largest windmills I have ever seen. These things were huge. Anyway, the terrain changes somewhat west of the Missouri River. It still is farmland but becomes the prairie. I posted an example pic in a new photo gallery. 

Minuteman was a bust. There were two trailers in the parking lot of a gas station. The tours only take place M-F and the silo closes on the weekends at 11AM. We got there at noon. We werent devastated and just moved on to Badlands NP. We went to the visitor center and saw the film. Crayton looked at the displays and I shopped for a sticker and patch.

We had lunch outside at a picnic spot and then drove through the park stopping for photos and to look at Pronghorn antelope, prairie dogs and bison. The place is really one of a kind.

We got off the pavement and went 12 miles into the wilderness to find our campground at Sage Creek. We got there and I kept looking around for Kevin Costner. The place IS Dances With Wolves. The bison pic I posted was from our campsite area. Anyway, it was desolate and I liked it ... but we got there at 3:30 and the sun was still high in the sky and Crayton was bored and didn’t really want to stay. So, after about 30 minutes of agonizing mental wrestling, I conceded and we jumped back in the truck and left the two other tent campers and the campers that brought their horses. We went into Wall and saw the drug store which is basically two blocks long of souvineer city.

We headed west to Rapid City and dined at Applebees. We could have been having hotdogs or ravioli on the grassland but we ended up going into Custer to a 3 day old Holiday Inn Express Teri found for us.

Though I am sad about not camping tonight, Crayton is pleased and we can start early tomorrow at the four area things I want to accomplish.

I will post again when I can.  By the way, Custer and Rapid City, etc. are in the Black Hills.  This (the Black Hills) may be the prettiest place I have ever been.  Really.

Comments

1

The last picture made me think of the sand dunes in colorado in that I cannot believe that our country has so many unique and amazing places. It really makes you realize how much God loves us. He created so many different, awesome, and fabulous places for us to see Him before we were even here!! How sad that some look but never see. Can't wait for pics at Mt. Rushmore--

  Teri Jun 15, 2008 12:34 PM

2

Great pics. The 1st one reminds me of Fortuna AFS in ND. That was the year that Mother decorated a tumbleweed at Christmas. And...seeing the Ice Caves in the middle of winter can be quite amazing!! Maybe you will get to camp tonight. Most importantly, aren't you just one of the luckiest men alive to get to spend Father's Day with your youngest child while you're off to see America together. Happy Happy Father's Day!

  Pamela Jun 16, 2008 12:57 AM

3

Happy Father's Day, Lee. Did Crayton buy you a present at Wall Drug? The Bison photo is awesome. Looking forward to Mt Rushmore photos.

Might want to stick with camping and save some money to pay your River Hills bill. Have obsereved Crockett dining in the grill quite regularly!

Sounds like a great adventure. What is gas going for up there?

We dropped Reed at K Kountry on Friday for his first time at Kanakuk. Going to their site to look for photos.

  Randy Peets Jun 16, 2008 1:01 AM

4

is it better than BWCA dad?

  Crockett Jun 16, 2008 7:54 AM

5

Sounds like a great road trip! Are you coming anywhere close to Aspen? Stop by for a little R & R. I have a TV, Crayton.

  Sheila Mize Jun 17, 2008 12:07 AM

6

i have always wanted to visit laura ingalls wilder home. did you stop?

  melissa a Jun 20, 2008 2:06 AM

7

Melissa, sorry we didnt but perhaps you can and tell us about it. Yall should load up and go!

  leebowie Jun 20, 2008 12:04 PM

About leebowie


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.