Existing Member?

The Tales of a Pisspot and a Worrywort!

World's Worst Directions!

TURKEY | Tuesday, 3 July 2012 | Views [617]

The windows begin to shake, eyelids begin to open and ears need covering with hands, pillows, or just simply what ever is available. This phenomenon is known as the early morning call to prayer! Ok so maybe staying in such close to proximity to a mosque, well 3 of them, is not the best idea if you are wanting beauty sleep but the cultural experience is worth it, for the first few days at least. The morning prayer had us all up and ready to go far before any shops opened or even before our buffet breakfast was served. A traditional Turkish breakfast (tomato, cucumber, salami, devon, cheese, olives and hard boiled eggs) was met with amazing views of the Blue Mosque, sunshine and people starting their day. It really is nice to be on holiday again.

The Bartlett's and I headed off for a day of exploration, first stop was the Blue Mosque, absolutely stunning on the inside and out. Interested by the feet washing stations, the prayer halls and the intricate stained glass windows we thought this must be the best of the best. Kicked out for prayer time so off the the Grand Bazaar, a huge authentic market made up of some 4000+ shops and stalls, reminded me of Asia, typical haggling, repetative stock and brands for half the price. The heat and complication of the layout was enough to have us heading for the door, but which one?! It soon became apparent that we had definately NOT left the way we had entered and were soon walking what seemed like forever further and further and further into the winding streets surrounding the Grand Bazaar, were we ever going to get out!

Mr Big Bartlett (with map in hand) soon assured us we were on our way out of the chaotic maze! Took a while but we finally surfaced somewhere, no idea where, but close enough to another mosque to go and have a look see. Somehow we had climbed a massive hill (no wonder my legs felt like they were going to drop off) and could see for miles and miles the beautiful views of Istanbul and the Bosphorous. It seemed as though I had sat down for 1 minute before the Bartlett's had dragged me off again on an epic search for some ancient aqueduct. Again lost, we wandered aimlessly almost giving up hope, when a peanut stall appeared out of nowhere in the back alley we were walking down, with some sustanance (and the boy Bartlett's with some new clothes) hope was in sight. A quick pitstop (number 30 for the day) and I still haven't quite got the hang of a squat toilet! Then the aqueduct was in view. The road running through it kind of ruined the atmosphere but it was still an impressive construction. Mr Bartlett (with his map in hand) determined the next walking course, looked simple enough, down to the river, past the palace and back to our hotel...

Unfortunately I belive the map was not to scale and we sooned realised we had attempted more than our little legs could take. After a quick lunch stop with the locals and the beauty of the afternoon call to prayer and we had made it down to the river. Figured we needed a break so we sat back and relaxed on a fitting Bosphorous river tour. It was crazy to think that we could see Europe on our left and Asia on our right, not something you get to do every day and something that I will remember forever. After the cruise I decided to tempt fate and take the Bartlett's for a quick metro ride back to the hotel, almost lost them but we all arrived in one peice, a success if I do say so myself! The Bartlett's and I have decided to retire for a nap then to attack the last half of the day!

L&R

 

About leaandray


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.