Existing Member?

The Tales of a Pisspot and a Worrywort!

Mr Big Bartlett "I will not move to a more private room!"

TURKEY | Tuesday, 12 June 2012 | Views [333]

The Inlaws have come to visit and what better way to celebrate than to whisk them off to some foreign country, with squat toilets, crazy cats and a large language barrier. Turkey should be fun! If you want to know what it's like for a little old me to take 3 Bartlett's on holiday then here it is...

It was an early start off to the airport ready to get flying once again, it feels like it has been far far too long. Waiting for our flight to board is always the worst (especially at 6am) but it felt amazing to buckle in, seats upright and wait for take off. The flight to Istanbul, our first port of call, was relatively uneventful. I think 2 of the Bartlett's were still a bit jetlagged so it was all quite on the Western front! Touched down safely (after a very bumpy landing) in Istanbul with our visa payment in hand and the first glimpse of sun in what seems like forever. We joined the massive line to grab our visas and another stamp for the collection, next stop was off to our mystery hotel.

The cab ride was as usual, no seat belts, flying through crazy traffic and avoiding accidents by a whisker, yep we are definately on holiday! Our taxi driver was really friendly, practicing his English and assuring us that his way was the quickest. We sat there and made out what little of the conversation we could understand (something about soccer), made it to a pedestrian only area with our taxi man assuring us that our hotel was just 100m down the road. Great, there we are bags in tow in the middle of Istanbul, in the busiest tourist street, in stinking hot weather, right in the centre of a massive festival...

A 'lost' passport, a quick unpack/repack (more like emptying the whole contents of a suitcase, while the population of Istanbul, approx 1 million, stared in amazement and confusion with the addition of a homeless man who thought that someone was opening an all you can steal stall, meanwhile Mr Big Bartlett was standing there like a crazy man searching his front pockets, his side cargo pockets and every last nook and cranny of his suitcase, the contents of which were now covered in the filth of Istanbul's street. The only place he did not look before going on such a bizare display was his back pocket where his passport was located - you had to be there to believe it), 1km later and we had made it alive to our hotel. A quick nap and shower and the Bartlett's plus me were ready for the beginning of our Istanbul adventure.

As it was late afternoon by the time we got started we planned on it being just a quick walk around. We soon realised that we were staying right opposite the busy and bustling Hippodrome and that the location for all the activity and sights could not have been better. I'm sure it was because we were so close to everything and after wandering aimlessly (this is the best way) for hours (Mr Big Bartlett with map in hand), a bite of lunch, a taste of Turkish apple tea and after countless pit stops we had found some of the beauty that is Istanbul. Little Mosques, Big Mosques, ancient statues, walls and monuments, a cheap eat at a kebap shop and the first day of our Turkish adventure was over. It was good night and a well deserved rest for the Barlett's and me!

L&R

 

About leaandray


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.