Existing Member?

The Tales of a Pisspot and a Worrywort!

A Time to Remember

TURKEY | Wednesday, 4 July 2012 | Views [428]

Lets just say last night I found out how to make sure everyone looks at you, half naked, flailing around in soap suds in the middle of a Turkish bath... simply just get up too quick a slip over in style! It certainly seemed very horrible at the time although I look back on it with hilarity and admiration that I didnt high tail it straight out of there. Our adventure to a Turkish Bath last night was definately eventful although a rather immature water fight started by none other than Mrs Bartlett was not high on my to do list haha. All in all it was an amazing experience and the bruise will be a lasting memory during the long bus ride destined for today.

It was an early morning start, this time the morning prayer was a nice wake up alarm, as we had a lot to fit in before joining our tour group. First stop, across the road to the Hagia Sofia Mosque. To be honest with you the Hagia Sofia Mosque is one of the most amazing constructions I have seen on our travels (I know there are plenty more ahead of us) but the winding ramps from level to level, the uncovered mosaics and just the magic of the place was breath taking, I am constanly amazed at the ability of populations to create such wonderful places with the bare essentials and wonder how we could possibly survive without them. We finished up there, grabbed an amazing kebab and waited and waited for our bus to arrive, worrying the whole time that the Bartlett's wouldnt like the tour.

Yet again we were stuck on a lengthy bus ride, cruising through the Turkey landscapes, the lego land buildings, deserted skyrise buildings in the middle of empty fields, wondering where the people were and where they could possibly be going to work. It was raining for a fair bit of the way, not a very good start to what would soon be us sitting outside in the cold for hours on end, fingers crossed it would soon come to a stop. We arrived at Eceabat, the local town of our tour guide TJ who we found out lives there for 6 months and spends the rest in Australia with his wife and daughter, he is certainly a long long way away. We put our bags down, grabbed our pre packed breakfasts, vegemite and all and jumped straight back on the bus for the ride to Gallipoli. We passed the Dardenelles, trenches and tonnes of war history, excited for the Dawn Service on ANZAC Day.

It was a quick walk past ANZAC Cove, geared up with our warmest clothes and sleeping bags, settled down in some seats to watch the sun set over one of the most special places in Turkey. Military bands, documentaries and the cries of "Chicken Kebap, Chicken Kebap" kept us entertained throughout the night. We didnt sleep much, it was far too cold and uncomfortable, I guess you just had to keep reminding yourself of what the soldiers were going through and that we really shouldnt complain. The darkness set in and it seemed like forever until the sun finally began to rise over the crest of the Sphinx, one of the most emotional and eerie moments I think we will ever experience. We sat and watched in silence as the Bugel played, remembering all those that fell at this very spot. Then it was a tough trek up Artillery Road (almost killed me) revealling some amazing views and the Australian service at the Lone Pine war graves site. We sat exhausted but enthralled by Gillard's speech, the choir, and a very emotional reading of words engraved on the gravestones. After a very emotional and draining day, ANZAC Day 2012 had come to an end, we headed back to the hotel for a much needed rest and Turkish dinner.

The next day was very hectic, kind of feeling like my head is going to explode with all the information that our tour guide has force fed us! We spent most of the day in absolute awe wandering through the Gallipoli Peninsular, in and out of numerous war graves each with their own atmospheres and memories, through original trenches, past Johnson's Jolly and spent ages staring out from the Nek at breathtaking views. For such a beautiful place it is so filled with memories of struggle, determination and pain, it was yet another very tiring and emotional day!

L&R

 

About leaandray


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.