Existing Member?

The Tales of a Pisspot and a Worrywort!

I am never eating bolognese again...

SPAIN | Monday, 5 September 2011 | Views [480] | Comments [2]

The morning begins with tired eyes and one killer hangover.

We met our tour group for La Tomatina yesterday afternoon and as travelers do when they meet for the first time they bond, by bond i mean drink copious ammounts of alcohol including sangrea, beer, whisky, vodka, and my favorite tequila. this wouldnt have been as bad if it was the first day of hang overs, however it wasnt Lea and myself had been enjoying ourselves for about 3 night previous, it doesnt help when the cheapest way to get dinner is to order drinks that include free tapas. Ñeedless to say it amounted in a very sore head. We woke up to an alarm about 3.5 hours after we went to sleep, ready to go, the friendly banter between the Brits and the Aussies had begun with much tooing and frowing about who was going to throw the most tomatoes at whom, (of course the Aussies were going to win because we all know the poms throw like little girls) we had our free breakfast and boarded the bus at 7am promptly and started our journey from Valencia to Bunol where the carnage happens. While we drove we recounted poorly remembered stories from the night before including two Brittish guys that had been beaten with trugeons by bored security guards (I have a feeling that there was a reason that they got beaten but neither of them could really remember what it was).

Finally we were there, and the first disater of the day, Lea lost everyone within 5 mins! Luckily I managed to find the poor soul and we regrouped with our British friends, after a short 2km walk to the middle of town we had secured a good spot to wait for the tomatoe fight to begin and wait we did .... and wait.... and wait.... and wait for 3.5 hours we waited in this time we watched girls flash their boobs and guys climb greasy poles... liturally... there was a leg of ham on top of said greasy pole and for the first time in a reported 10 years someone got the ham, he is now a spanish celebrity pity he doesnt speak spanish so he doesnt know how famious he actually is.

It was time we heard the distsnt rumble of trucks and the growing roar coming from where the first truck had already been suddenly the already packed street needed to part to allow a truck to pass through, harder than it sounds, eventuates in a massive crush against the walls that line the street the crush is so tight that I was able to remove my feet from the ground and have a little rest while I waited, next thing I knew the tomatoes were flying thick and fast there were spaniards that were getting a little bit carried away and tearing off girs clothes, Britts attempting to throw tomatoes, there were Aussies and Kiwis ganging up against every one else, there were girls thinking they were going to die and guys having the time of their lifes, this carried on for about 1 hour until there was a shot from a distant cannon and that was the end, now it was time to attempt to find a shower, well more some random spainiard that had a hose that semi washed you down.

The day was over and now for a final night out with the new friends that we had met on our La Tomatina tour.

R&L

 

Comments

1

I am sorry you feel as though you will never eat spagetti bolognase again I am sad lol lol

  Mum Sep 5, 2011 9:55 AM

2

Dear Ray and Lea

Wonderful to read of your adventures in Spain. It is inspiring to read that Ray has continued to demonstrate to the wider world his good old Aussie culture of sophistication and refinement. At least the girls flashing their boobs would have reminded Ray of the Summernats. I looked up the pictures of the tomatoe fight on the internet and couldn't see Ray - but it still looked like a lot of fun. I noticed in the pictures I saw that there were about nine tomatoe caked blokes for every tomatoe caked girl. I hope Lea managed to throw a few. Spain sounds like a wonderful place to visit. Lea's blog on all the places you have seen sounds wonderful. It is Spring in Sutton and the brown snakes are waking up (we haven't had one yet). Basil, Sally and mum are fat and smelly as always. Keep your bowels open.

Love

Mick and Gwen the pig

  Mick and Gwen the pig Sep 6, 2011 8:40 PM

About leaandray


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.