Existing Member?

The Tales of a Pisspot and a Worrywort!

I Know What Someone Wants For Christmas

SPAIN | Monday, 5 September 2011 | Views [234]

One 2 hour taste of what has been described to me as the best toy ever and Ray is already begging for one for Christmas! Zipping around on a Segway through the cobbled streets of Granada was amazing and if you think it requires no effort then you are sorely mistaken, although it definately beats walking up some of the hills. We saw the Alhambra from a distance (little did we know that people buy tickets for it months and months in advance, and we were convinced this was the only view of it we would get), we weaved through the gypsie villages in Sacramento as our guide informed us that the "houses" we were looking at were infact fake fronts to the caves that the gypsies reside in, we bounced our way through the UNESCO heritage listed Jewish streets and ended with being told "now dont do anything silly on the Segway", much to Rays disapointment! Then it was off to one of the best aspects of Granada... FREE Tapas with every drink, we worked our way through each of the bars offering cheese, olives, chicken wings, bagels, and delicious seafood. With full bellies I headed back to the hostel while Ray continued on into the wee hours of the morning.

Then it was an adventure to get the rather difficult tickets to the Alhambra, finally we found a package for all the sites in Granada including the Alhambra for the afternoon session, mind you over 800 tickets had been sold for the day. Then it was rest time till our slot and then a quick bus ride to begin more sight seeing. We were definately not prepared for the effort it would require to scale the entirity of the Alhambra. After almost 4 hours we had seen the cathedral, the court of Lions - being restored, the alacazaba - an amazing fort and military quarters, the Nasrid Palaces - stunning architecture and everything a palace should be, the generalife - full of beautiful water fountains and gardens providing some relief from the heat and many other tiny features that all were absolutely wonderful! We were a tad over it by the end and it was back to the hostel with tired feet for a sleep before a quick feed on FREE tapas then a dinner party of seafood paella and beer. After planning to get to bed before 10:00pm for our 3:00am bus we made it finally for a sleep at 12:00am :(

Then it was a cranky 2:00am start for our journey to Valencia, unaware of the fact that the bus had no toilet, Ray is still laughing at my face when the travel sickness (or as Ray puts it hang over) kicked in and I had no choice but to hold it!

We made it to Valencia and were greated with the busiest city we have encountered so far full of high rise buildings and intricate museums and relics. We checked into the hotel, meet the tour group and headed out to get some cheap clothes for the biggest food fight due to occur the next day. Then it was time for our drinking shoes to come out and party with a wonderful bunch of people yet again to the wee hours, it was also at this time we realised we hadnt booked ferry tickets to Ibiza so Ray, drunk, managed to decipher an entire website in Spanish to successfully book our return ferry ride. Then to bed for the big day!!!

L&R

 

About leaandray


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.