Existing Member?

The Tales of a Pisspot and a Worrywort!

I spy something starting with R... Rice Field? Correct!

LAOS | Friday, 1 July 2011 | Views [460] | Comments [2]

So we made it to Chiang Mai safe and sound, sat around in the airport for a while and then jumped on a bus to start the journey to the Laos border...

The bus ride was rather uneventful, although the roads the further we got out became more and more riddled with potholes. I think we saw in the hundreds of thousands of rice fields along the way, I assume its what we flew over on the way in. We met some British travellers on the bus and drank into the night at our stop over in Chiang Kong. The room there was interesting with mouse poo on my pillow to greet me. The geckos didnt allow for a restful sleep and some bat thing kept trying to break in!

Jumped back on the bus the next day and made it to the Laos border crossing, for two minutes as we crossed the Mekong we were in no mans land! Got our visas stamped and were officially in Laos. Next stop was the slow boat to Luang Prabang, two days of cruising down the Mekong. We tagged along with our new friends and played drinking games to make the time go quicker. The boat no longer had wooden seats, rather car seats clearly removed from a minivan.

We made the first leg of the journey to Pak Beng (we think) which was a tiny town with 3 restuarants, 1 bar and power generators that continously flicked on and off during our first storm of the rainy season! After a night of drinking and froverlities with our new found traveling friends we awoke to a picture perfect view looking over a cloud filled valley, it truley was a post card view of Asia.

in Laos the beer is cheap and strong the whisky is free and stronger, and they got confused and decided that the right hand side was the correct side of the road to drive on, the people here dont quite get our humour, with a lao lady sitting laughing at us the full last quater of our slow boat ride beacuse we turned Cranium Cards into a drinking game.. (thanks MC for the cards)

P.S. dad go nuts on the rum however i only have one rule it must be consumed straight... you wont drink i tstraight your scared...

Comments

1

Dear Ray and Lea

I have arranged for your blog to come to my desktop computer because mum cannot operate her pisspoor joke of a thing properly. Mum is watching over my shoulder and is of the view that my comments are offensive and untrue. I beg to differ. It is wonderful to hear that you have got to Laos safely. It must be warmer than here. It was so cold last night that Basil was telling me (yes, I've hidden it for years, but Basil can talk to me) that it was lucky we got his balls cut off as a pup because they would have snapped off in the cold last night. We are sitting by the fire like good, civilised parents watching the ABC and drinking G&Ts (I am anyway). Hope you are enjoying yourselves. Make sure you stick to the footpaths. Last time I heard, Laos still has a few unexploded landmines.

Mum and Dad, Basil and Sally

  Mick and Gwen the dag Jul 2, 2011 8:14 PM

2

Hi kids
good to see you got over the first 2 hurdles on your epic adventure
1. you survived the slow boat (it didn'tsink)
2. ray obviously hasn;t gone blind from drinking that piss they call whiskey(still plenty of time).
am dead set missing the both of you ray you look after lea or maybe should be the other way around
looking forward to your next update
mum sends her love thinks the blog is terrific & has started her own diary on your trip
love you
terry

  Terry Jul 3, 2011 10:46 AM

About leaandray


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.