Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

The Wild Coast of Portugal

PORTUGAL | Tuesday, 4 September 2007 | Views [1884]

As we drive north of Sagres, the coastline of Portugal grows more dramatic.  The furthest southwesterly point on the European continent is Cabo de Sao Vincente, a windswept point, jutting far out into the ocean, equipped with lighthouse and fortaleza (fortress).  We proceed further north to check out the beaches of Pria de Beliche which still shows no signs of surf.  Further north we wind through the Parque Natural do Sudoeste Alentejano e Costa Vicentina, thick with plant species native and some only found here in Portugal.  The cliffs are magnificent, and the land is wild, undeveloped and nicely protected by the government and park system.  Approaching the next town, Carrapateria, we are sure we'll find surf.  This is the place known on the southwest coast as the mecca for surfers.  We check out Pria da Borderia and see an amazing sight.  Despite having no surf, the beach is a big desert, windswept sands blow through the valley, market on one end by rugged hills and cattle cruising in lines across the hills into the valleys, and strung together by a wide river that fills and recedes during the extreme tides that this area experiences.  The river bed fills with emerald green water, and gives way to a beautiful green and blue ocean, market on the southern end by a jutting headland of dune and desert scrub.  We can see the great possibilities here on a western or southerly swell, wrapping long lefts around the point, and driving down the miles of massive beach expanse.  This town feels like it's only one tenth the size of Sagres, and seems to exist only for the hard core beach and surfing community.
 
Further afield we hit the very Moorish town of Aljezur, and head west to check out the beaches of Pria da Arrifana, Pria de Monte Clerigo and Pria de Amoreira.  Dramatic black winding cliffs give way to golden sand beaches.  Here we see even better potential for surf, as there are reefs and points scattered throughout the coastline here, and lots of little peaks, albeit very small.
 
About 30 more minutes up the road we come to a really cool little beach called Pria de Odeceixe. The town is set back about 3M or so, and they have a little toy train that transports people from the town to the beach and back.  This beach is fully set up with surfboard and wetsuit rentals, and again, has loads of potential for surf.  There are a few long boarders out, and we kick it there for a bit watching the sunk sink a bit lower over the majestic cliffs.  We stop for the night at a little granny's guesthouse.  She speaks no English, we very little Portuguese, but enough to know where to park and when to check out.  We're set for the night in this quaint coastal town of whitewashed terraced homes, cobblestone streets and amazing beaches.

Tags: Beaches & sunshine

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Portugal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.