Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

C'Mon McDonald's Clean Up Your Trash in Helsinki

FINLAND | Sunday, 5 August 2007 | Views [1182]

It's 4:00 a.m. and we're setting out, backpacks in tow, for the bus station to catch our flight from Helsinki to Cairo, Egypt. As we trek across town, it's not a quiet, sleepy Sunday morning in Helsinki. Rather, there are a ton of party goers scurrying around on the streets and queuing up at the bus stops waiting for their morning ride to take them home to bed. Some still smell of alcohol and are even drunk from the evening before. What's most disturbing to us is that the pristine, clean streets of Helsinki have been transformed, overnight, into a war disaster zone. Empty beer bottles and trash litter the streets everywhere. A closer look reveals the paper trash is mainly supplied by Mc Donald's - the only restaurant open 7x24. We notice there are few, if any, trash cans on the streets. How could such a beautiful, well manicured city, allow this to happen? We see it off the freeway as we are en route to the airport - there's a Mc Donald's parking lot in the middle of a beautiful lush green nature setting, littered with paper and trash. Come on Mc Donald's, have some sense of corporate and community responsibility and clean up the mess you've created and work with the city to sponsor a mass of trash bins to allow customers to properly dispose of the waste you've generated.

Tags: Food & eating

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Finland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.