Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

Cambodian Cuisine

CAMBODIA | Monday, 2 July 2007 | Views [1202]

Several restaurants in Cambodia proudly announce on large signs in entrance ways, "We don't serve dog, cat, rat or worm."  We have seen some crazy things skewered and barbecued or fried up:  snakes, frogs, crickets, beetles, spiders... Despite all the funky critters, Cambodia is a culinary delight for the adventurous traveler.

There's lots of rice and fish here... Our favorite local dish, and one that tops our list of all time favorite meals, is the national dish, amoc.  This dish seems a bit similar to the Thai steamed fish with curry and custard in a banana leaf that we made during our cooking class in Chiang Mai, so we're hoping that we'll be in a better position to have a go at cooking amoc when back at home.  This tasty dish - baked fish with coconut, chili, lemon-grass, cooked in a banana leaf, can also be made with chicken, beef or prawns.  We have eaten them all here, and love each combination.  They also prepare it with a curry and more vegetables which is equally as delish.  The dishes aren't as spicy hot as Thailand, but the flavors are exquisite.  

Another favorite for me was the pumpkin, coconut and beef soup, which you could also make with other types of meat.  Pumpkin is used in many dishes here, even on pizza, and the soup is really something special.

A staple here is rice noodle soup, and it's eaten by locals for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  A dessert highlight we had was rice porridge, as well as black bean in warm coconut, and pumpkin in warm coconut... Simply amazing!  Had we spent more time in Cambodia we would have taken a cooking class, to share these culinary delights with friends and family back home. 

Tags: Food & eating

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.