Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

Eating Burmese Style

MYANMAR | Monday, 21 May 2007 | Views [1066]

We had the opportunity to be taken into a local town today by our driver, for a special local Burmese meal.  While we've had the ah so tasty roadside bus pit stop meals at local diners, that really doesn't count as a home cooked meal.  We got served up all the yummy fixin's for lunch today - starting with what must have been 20 small bowls of little delights from fish, to mutton, fish, chicken curries, and a dazzling array of veggies- pumpkin curry, sauteed spinach, wild mushrooms, beans, lentils, and so many others that I couldn't recognize, but that we of course sampled.  Then came the bottomless pot-o-rice.  Eating in Myanmar at a local family joint is like eating at my Italian grandmothers house... The food just keeps coming and coming, and they continue to tell you that you need to eat more.  It was a cornucopia of wonderful flavors.  

There have also been those not-so-nice meals at pit stops, ones with the fine entrees on the menu like intestine salad, fried pig stick, fried liver kong baung, and other delights that we gave a miss to.  They certainly make good use of all the animal parts, and it's a true influence from the Chinese cuisine from those that have immigrated here over the years.  Our only real complaint is that the food is excessively greasy, and breakfasts, be they Nepali, Indian or Burmese that's served here... Including the American eggs, are doused in greasy oils which reaps havoc on the stomach and intestines.

We've eaten these really cool little friend egg and cilantro soufflés fried up in little quail egg cookers that are yummy to eat hot off the fire, pop em in your mouth as they cool.

And the fruit... Especially the mangoes.  We have never seen such large, juicy, orange flesh mangos in our lives - but the mangoes here are the best we've ever had, and we're so luck to be here during the mango season!

We've been fortunate to eat for under $10 USD/day- many cases much less.  Eating from local restaurants is pretty cheap, and the beer is not bad - actually the Mandalay Red label beer was 7 percent alcohol, for just a buck.

Tags: Food & eating

 

 

Travel Answers about Myanmar

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.