Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

Job Segmentation & Local Life

INDIA | Tuesday, 3 April 2007 | Views [1272]

We have had the good fortune of being able to observe the rhythm of local life here in Bangalore... and it has been nothing short of fascinating. It's given us a clearer view on the multitude of manual services that are provided, which we in the West take for granted through technology and automation. Small defined jobs across many people keep those living in shanties and slums surviving and thriving. A maid arrives at 6:00am, ready to wash the dishes from the prior nights cooking and dinner. The dishes have already been sprayed clean the night before, to make the work a bit easier for the maid. She sweeps and cleans the floors and helps with the washing. She's one of many that have come before her - we are told it is difficult to find good help. The maids are more concerned with how quickly they can move from household to household, collecting their cash. They come with great psychological needs as well; some are abused by their husbands, or in-laws and bring their emotional baggage to the job - or sometimes simply no longer show up. This places a great burden on the head of household managing them. Some families have maids that come to help prepare the children, and get them off to school- or ensure they are there for end of day return, so mom & dad can also get ready and off to work. Some families also have cooks that come to prepare the day's tiffin and even breakfast and dinner. The doorbell rings; it's the propane guy, rolling in another steel container for cooking. Again the bell rings, this time its the delivery of fresh produce, eggs, milk, for each days freshly prepared meals. no need for Costco here, or to stock up when you can get just what you need today and use it "just in time." Not to mention the frequent power outages that would cause any stockpiled food to spoil. The bell rings again - this time it's the guy to collect the monthly electricity bill. Each person's job is clearly defined, and the day hums with a predictable rhythm of a "surviving" service economy, providing employment for the masses. Shravani's day is backed full. She's off to work today, so is busy getting the children ready for school. Critically important to their lifestyle is the daily preparation of wholesome, fresh, well balanced meals. Shravani is a culinary wizard. She's whipping up dosas and chutney for breakfast, and at the same time, dishing out little tiffin containers of delectable, nutritious snacks and lunch for the kids to take to school in their backpacks; while simultaneously preparing the flavorful mixture of spices, marinades and curry gravy for the evenings dinner. Everything is prepared by hand. Fresh butter is culled from heated milk the night before. Fresh curd (yummy Indian yogurt) is extracted from the milk cream thats been sitting aside in the fridge, distilling. Palm sugar and other elements are added to make the highly desired ghee for the special flavorings of vegetarian dishes. She takes special time out in the morning and evenings for pooja - or daily special prayers and offerings to chosen Hindu deities that she holds in highest importance. Food, flowers and incense are placed prominently in front of the deities and she calls their attention with a ritual of bells and flame from a small gold oil burner. She prays for a healthy and successful day for the family, and gives thanks for the day during each evening. We've observed other poojas, but never had the chance to learn about what was really happening. Shravani has generously shared her knowledge, culture and custom with us, so we can learn and appreciate more of the Hindu culture. The amount of responsibility, activity and work a female has in the Indian household amazes me - it's like super mom - nurturing and caring for family, holding down a job, dedicating important space and time for cultural and religious daily activities, and also reserving time for self, exercise of mind and body. I'm exhausted living just a few days in the life of super-mom Shravani. The kids come home for school, and it's time to get them ready for karate class. They are learning the discipline of self defense and have received their blue and green belts through their hard work and constant practice. Lessons are held in the living complex. It's a residential, intact community where lots of kids socialize and families participate together in daily life and social and educational activities. These are tight knit Indian communities, where family and friendships interweave and form strong, trusted and loving bonds. While the kids are off at karate, I'm attempting to learn how to cook Indian food - well, from a distance. Shravani describes all the spices and how they are combined and prepared to make the beautifully flavored dishes. I can barely remember the names of the spices, and recognize which is which; I'm embarrassed that I can't contribute anything. My cooking skills are nonexistent, aside from pasta, and guacamole - which really isn't something I could whip up here - difficult to find the ingredients, and I'm sure the Acharya's would find my meals lacking in nutritional value and balance. I quickly scribble down each spice and ingredient, in the order it's combined; in hopes that when I return home, I might also be able to make some yummy Indian food that I'm growing very fond of. Our dining experience each morning, noon and night are very special and very local. Food is eaten with the right hand only. While we were given utensils, we try hard to learn the new local skills. We've found that breaking apart chapattis (similar to flour tortillas), rotis, parathas and naan to be extremely challenging with one hand, so occasionally we cheat with the assistance of our left hand - which is taboo to eat with - but hope that we are forgiven by our hosts, and haven't offended them too badly. India is also know for it's sweets: gloub jamen, laddu, kheer, and barfi are just a couple of the very yummy treats made from rice, grains, milk, and other all natural ingredients. We are loving our local experience and have had so much fun learning from, sharing and exchanging our cultures with our friends.

Tags: Friends

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.