Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

Indian Signage

INDIA | Thursday, 29 March 2007 | Views [915]

We have found hours of entertainment in observing and reading signage posted around India.  We toured through a museum today in Mysore where someone had gone crazy with a label maker on all the objects on display.  They were labeled with very non-descript, obvious signage such as:  ‘statue of a woman sitting on a rock;’ ‘small miniature oil painting;’ ‘painting of a woman looking.’  At the Parklane Hotel restaurant in Mysore there were special notations on the menu, ‘Disposable vomit Bags are available on request in case of need, as a consideration to fellow diners.’   In the train station in Conoor, ‘Clean Habits are Noticed by Others and Copied Too.’  Or at other restaurants around Bangalore, ‘Beware of Mobile Lifters.’ 

 

We’ll continue to keep the collection updated as we capture more that we can remember…

 

Our time in Mysore has been extremely colorful.  The Devaraja Market is something extra special here.  We spent several hours perusing the piles of spices, flowers, incense, fruits & veggies, and being doused with all types of fragrant oils.  We ducked into a little family run shop for a soda and to observe a religious procession passing by on the street.  We stood and listened to Islamic chants broadcast throughout the town square at prayer time.   We toured the magnificent palace- of which we were not allowed to take photos of the interior.  We passed by the location of Patthabhi Jois’s Ashtanga Yoga Research Institute- which was a clean sprawling complex, luxurious vehicle in the driveway, and a guard at the door who told me he could not discuss the institute or their yoga programs with me, instead directed me to their web site- so much for open hearts, and non-existent egos. 

Tags: Sightseeing

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.