Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

36 Hairpin Turns

INDIA | Tuesday, 27 March 2007 | Views [904]

From Wayanad we pass through several other wildlife sanctuaries… including Mudalimi National Reserve, where we spot deer, monkeys and elephants along the way.  We are now in the state of Tamil Nadu.  We arrive at the base of the Nilgiri Hills, where we proceed to drive up a very steep road, to an altitude of 2240 meters.  36 frightening hairpin turns later, and a car cool off stop at turn number 18; we finally make our way up to Ooty.  The views are amazing.  Ooty is a small hilltop town, known for it’s tea and homemade chocolates… no time for a stop off in Ooty, however, as we were headed to the next hill town of Conoor.  We continue to wind through the mountains and snap pictures of cute hilltop houses along the way.  Cows are lounging under the big deciduous pine trees and locals are wearing sweaters, pashminas and big fuzzy hats.  There we stayed in a comfortable guesthouse, in the middle of the Highfield Tea Estate.  We were the only guests, and were so well catered to.  We received a warm cup of tea upon arrival, and then a tour of the tea plantations and processing plant.  We met the resident horses, rabbits, and were given a heads up about the bison that would descend into the tea plantations at night to graze.  An amazing sunset, and we’re ready to camp out here for weeks…  Our guesthouse was run by two locals that were so welcoming and kind.  The cook had been preparing fine Indian dishes for over 35 years, and was so proud to present us with a beautiful chicken curry amongst other delights.  While he spoke no words of English, we communicated through hand signs and facial expressions. 

 

Morning brings an amazing breakfast of idly, dosa and coconut chutney, and a strong cup of tea.  We’re off to ride the train up the mountain to Ooty.

Tags: On the Road

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.