Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

Warmth of Indian Hospitality, Family & Friends

INDIA | Sunday, 11 March 2007 | Views [1738]

One of the most special and endearing aspects of India is the people.  Our Indian friends, both stateside, and in India are amazingly warm and hospitable.  The family unit in India is ultra important and intricately linked with religion, custom, and daily ritual.  We had the wonderful opportunity to be invited to meet my friend Purvi’s family.  Purvi has been a business colleague and a friend from over the years.  Her family started up a highly successful Strategic Organizational & HR consulting firm, of which both parents and three daughters are experts in their own disciplines.  Purvi has also been one of those special cultural mentors for me, when I was first setting up a business operation in Bangalore.  She educated me on how business is transacted in India, from political savvy to business savvy; customs, practices, etiquette and economics.  We have kept in touch over the years, and she was kind enough to help us secure a safe, clean hotel in the northern suburbs of Mumbai for our first three nights, along with helping us piece together a self-tour itinerary, complete with tips for dress and navigating the taxi system and street smarts. 

 

Her family was so warm and welcoming.  We enjoyed savory treats of homemade samosas, savory cake and curry freshwater prawns, all washed down with a couple of cold Kingfishers.  Indian food is as flavorful as it’s culture and people.  With just one bite, it’s like sipping a fine glass of wine… you taste the multitude of spices… cardamom, tumeric, cumin, tamarind, saffron, masala, curries… the tastes and smells are delicious.  The appetizers were just the start.  Purvi and her sister Shilpa then treated us to the most delicious seafood restaurant where we sampled a variety of types of fishes prepared with very unique style Indian spices.  Having our friends guide us through menu selection and recommendation made for a truly special and memorable experience.  We capped off the evening with a real treat of Kulfi (India ice cream made with reduced milk) that tasted of creamy dulce de leche, and Gulab Jamun which are deep-friend balls of khoya (reduced milk) dough soaked in rose-flavored syrup.

 

On the way home, they toured us through the sights of the city; old buildings from the British era, Mumbai’s Wall Street, the navy docks & barracks, and the view of what’s termed the Queen’s necklace- the string of lights illuminating the boardwalk of the Mumbai bay front.  Mumbai is a gorgeous sight at night.  It’s amazing the contrast of the city; it’s look & feel under the stifling hot sun, and under the cool dark moonlight sky at night.

Tags: Friends

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.