Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

Climbing the 60M Karri Tree

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 23 February 2007 | Views [2947]

No better way to use our time today, than touring through the fine wineries of Denmark and Pemberton (West Cape Howe and Old Kent River) as we wind our way toward Margaret River.  We spent the day traversing hairpin turns on the road through the forest of giant Karri trees.  They edge right up to the ocean - it feels a bit like Tahoe, or what I suspect Yosemite might be like (need to get there one day).  In and out of the trees appear fields of grapes, and in some areas they are about ready to harvest.  As we wound our way through, we sampled the good of the land here, including not just fine wines, but freshly brewed beer and English cider.  We've loaded up for another couple of nights on the road, and for a great evening in our caravan park under the tall Karri trees.  We also attempted to climb the 61m Karri tree in the national park... And got a bit of the way up when vertigo hit.  We'll take another go tomorrow.  Hard to be all the way here and not make it up.  Again, it's another one of those tourist challenges that you would never see in the US, there would be way too many lawsuits from people trying to get up, feeling they need a little extra cash, and slipping through the ropes.

Tags: The Great Outdoors

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.