Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

"Hard" Means Potentially Hazardous to Your Well Being

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 21 February 2007 | Views [931]

We finally realized what 'hard' degree of difficulty means on the national park trek rating scale.  We set out to climb "Frenchie" (Frenchman's Peak) today in Le Grand National Park.  The sign categorized it as 'hard' so we got out the hiking shoes (cross trainers) that we'd bought for the trekking we'd be doing here, Nepal and in the Patagonia's.  They're not intensive hiking boots, as we're really only carrying one true pair of shoes, besides our sandals, and flip flops "thongs in Australian" for showering- and our one pair of shoes needs to get us through tropical and very cold climates, as well as being acceptable footwear out for an evening on the town.  But lace up we did, filled up the water bottles, and off we went to tackle the Frenchie.  The warning sign at the entrance warned of active bees, and swarms of bees- now I'm highly allergic, and this stopped me from doing the 4 hour hike the day before, but epi-pen in hand, I'd be damned if I wasn't going to take on the climbing challenge.  A challenge it was, the vertical inclines were more than just a work out, but a real test for vertigo and fear of heights.  It all seemed relatively ok on the way up, just be sure to have solid footing on the slabs of flat rock, and look for any crevasse to get a better grip.  I must have been so focused on each new rock and slab of granite that I didn't realize how dangerous the route was.  They definitely don't let tourists climb these type of routes in the US without a chain or rope to hold onto or hoist up like we've used in Zion for steep climbs.  Just short from the top I took a rest to catch my breath and have a drink of water, and took a quick glance around, and the dormant fear of heights quickly reared its ugly head, and I struggled to make it up to the very top, take some photos, and then begin the sketchy traverse down the steep decline.  Mind you, the other challenge as one is climbing or descending, is avoiding getting chewed and stung to death by the monster horseflies that swarm around you the entire way.  My swatting and waiving my arms like a madwoman was not helping the balance situation.  I made it down safely after an hour since my ascent, legs shaking from the stress, and remaining adrenaline pumping out of my veins.  Today I feel so alive, it's great.  Bring on the next challenge!

Tags: Adrenaline

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.