Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

The Great Ocean Drive of Esperance

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 19 February 2007 | Views [3112]

Our cruise along the coastline of Esperance took us to some of the most amazing beaches we've ever seen.  It's hard to think up the words to describe the colors, and I think that Crayola will need to come up with some new boxes of crayons to color the pictures of what we've seen.  Picture this; endless beaches of powdery white sand, the type that feels like you're walking on flour, so fine it squeaks when you walk on it.  Clear water laps up onto the shore, and slowly gives way out to sea, to a variety of shades of sea foam green, blues, turquoises, and other hues I don't have the words to describe.  I'm not even sure a digital picture does it justice, but we've done our best to capture a whole slew of them, so hopefully you can appreciate some of what we've seen and experienced.  The first few beaches we came upon; West Beach, Chapman’s Point and Blue Haven Beach had some incredible surf with no one out.  It looked like beach break and several points, but close into shore you could see a granite slate ledge that was the bottom- like a platform floor, wouldn't make for a very soft landing upon wipeout.  The next few beaches; Salmon Beach, Fourth Beach & Twilight Beach were amazing sights, crystal clear pools, that gave way to darker depths of water and rock- great for swimming and if there was the right swell, surfing as well.  Half way around we came to Observatory Point and Nine Mile Beach, followed by Eleven Mile Beach.  Don't ask why they've named the beaches in miles versus kilometers - must have been an English Bloke who discovered those early on.  These beaches had amazing stretches of beach breaks, huge sets rolling through, and no one out there.  We sat mesmerized on the cliffs above and taking photos, which of course, probably doesn't display half the picture we saw.  From what we observed, this is the spot for a big group surf trip with friends... And the water is about 72 degrees to boot!

At the North end of the scenic drive loop, there was another Pink Lake, similar to what we saw up in the Northwestern part of the coast from Perth.  A strong dose of Beta Carotene is what gives it its pink hue, although the sun wasn't quite at the right angle to bring you stunning photos of what was truly there.  We have to agree, that Esperance truly does have the best beaches in Australia.  When you read all the glossy brochures put out by each town information center to market their areas, they proudly claim to have the best beaches.  Right, we thought- we've seen a ton of beautiful beaches up and down the East, West and across the South coasts.  But Esperance can truly boast - they are amazing!

 

Tags: Beaches & sunshine

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.