Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

Feeding Dolphins

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 14 February 2007 | Views [802]

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Yet another amazingly hot day- even hotter than yesterday.  We actually set the alarm for the first time last night, to be sure to get ourselves motored over to Monkey Mia - about a 30 minute drive away, for the 8:00 am dolphin feeding.  The national park is amazing- in fact, all Shark Bay is considered a World Heritage Site - and they do a wonderful job preserving the conditions of the beach, coast, and marine park to enable the dolphins and dugongs to thrive.  Each morning in Monkey Mia the dolphins come in for three feedings, all before 11:00 am.  The first feeding we saw brought forth 9 Indo-Pacific Bottlenose dolphins, and three new born baby dolphins, the youngest of which was just born January 15th!  They only have new babies every 4 years, so we were very fortunate to see three.  They came right up to the edge of the shore where we stood awe struck in amazement of how calm natured and people friendly they were.  I spent the day swimming in the warm, aquamarine colored water, hoping to see one swim up to me, but no such luck.  We had planned to head up to Coral Bay later today, but it was so flipping hot, we were afraid the van wouldn't cope well, not to mention us as well.  So we spent a night in Monkey Mia, kicking it our ocean front caravan park, watching the stars come out one by one, and then en masse as they painted the sky with a big milky-way stripe.  I'm loving the warm weather here, and have permanently stashed away the long johns for this segment of the trip. 

Tags: The Great Outdoors

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.