Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

Movin' on Up in Western Australia

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 9 February 2007 | Views [858]

We decided to splurge and hire a classier vehicle for our next two weeks on the road.  We really wanted to hire a Britz or Maui campervan, but they were all booked out.  So between the high end and the "wicked" end, we found "Autobarn" that appeals to the backpacker market.  They at least had a van, it was white, and a bit cleaner on the inside, and they actually serviced their vehicles.  Contrary to the Wicked van company, who after returning our Happy, en route to the airport one and a half hours later, we peer out our shuttle and see an excited new couple driving Happy back out to the Great Ocean Road - now that's scary.

So off we go, to explore the wild landscape of Coastal Western Australia.  We've got two weeks booked, and about 3000 kilometers as a playground heading north.  Luckily we've got no plan, so where we end up is as much of a mystery to us as it is to you.  Speaking of mystery, where we ended up this evening was the lesser of two scary campsites in Lancelin.  The first site I went into the reception and this gruff woman comes out in a really thick accent, bandages all over her hands like she's been out wrestling crocks... "One night with power, that'll be twenty four dollars fifty, and ya know ya ain't allowed to bushcamp within 16k's of our campsite.  There are some real strange people out there, yous should be real careful where you camp and who pulls in next to ya."  We took a look at her, and a look at the others we'd be camping around, and opted to move on down the road.  The next place wasn't a whole lot better, but we're fitting in pretty well at this point, our permanent fixture neighbor lit up from all the "light beers" he'd been drinkin', asking us to come on over for a few drinks... Exhausted from the 200 k's on the road (including getting lost for an hour), we opted to assemble the new van bed and crash out.

 

Tags: On the Road

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.