Existing Member?

Dalama Adventures Tale of two corporate types ditching their jobs and traveling the world for 14 months... check out all photos, blogs & interesting tid bits at http://www.dalama.net

Waiheke Me

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 14 January 2007 | Views [897]

If you’re in Auckland, make the time to see Waiheke Island... it’s a short ferry ride away, and so worth the trip. They have a ton of great hiking trails, wrapping around the coast and cliffs. Don’t forget to take the water... the walks are steep and hot, and take you up little narrow headlands jutting out into the sea. The hikes wind through vineyards and tasty wineries, where we stopped off in desperate need of water. The views are breathtaking, and we definitely got a good workout in.

We’ve found the people we’ve met from NZ very friendly and hospitable. We met a lovely local couple at the end of our hike who invited us in for homemade scones and a cool drink, and to enjoy their stories about life in NZ, overlooking a beautiful beach from the front porch of their beautiful beach cottage. They bought their little vacation paradise back in 1967 for a steal. They so kindly gave us a bit of a ride around the island and then dropped us off for tasting at the MuddBrick winery, one of Waiheke’s finest.

We ended up later at a little cafe deck overhanging the beach; in search of a meal, we haven’t quite worked the timing for meals out yet. When we’re hungry, it seems as the kitchen’s always closed. But, they still had their famous “hot chips” (french fries) and mayonnaise - which we still can’t figure out the infatuation of dipping already greased up potatoes in mayonnaise- and a couple of cold beers to go with it.

There was a great photo framed on the wall of a local beach, done by a local artist, with a saying that summed up my feelings perfectly: “Life isn’t measured by the number of breaths you take, it’s moments that take your breath away.”

Tags: On the Road

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.